Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:34 AM   #1
opnop123
macrumors newbie

Audio out switch for iMac?

Folks,

Anyone know of any single-button solution to switch audio to different outputs? I want to switch between three outputs: the iMac's internal speakers, external speakers, headphones.

Apparently there's no way to switch between internal/external in software? The iMac's audio connector is hardwired so one must plug/unplug the cable physically to make the Mac notice it.

I'm prepared to buy new speakers + cables + an external audio switch for this, or AirPlay. Someone solved it?

The Griffin iMic solves half of this problem; it only has one output, I need two...

Thanks
opnop123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
The easiest solution would be to get USB speakers as you can switch between the internal speakers and USB speakers without any extra software. Then if you want to use the headphones, plug them in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Näyttökuva 2010-09-18 kohteessa 13.38.35.png
Views:	43
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	252233  
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:51 AM   #3
tpg
macrumors regular

As far as I can tell, the audio jack is hardwired as you describe, and I'm yet to find software that can override this.

You should be able to find a physical jack switch without too many problems - an electronics store should have them. For example:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=9328&T=Module
tpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:27 PM   #4
yzc717
macrumors member

In windows 7 under bootcamp, you can actually switch which default audio out for playback, and it works.
yzc717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
opnop123
macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer, the Z-10 look nice. This eliminates one problem: plugging/unplugging the external speakers.

However, the plugging/unplugging of the headphones will still be a nuisance. I have my external speakers in the other end of the room (big screen for movie watching), so I'll have to walk over there to plug/unplug the headphones.

Also I share my current external speakers with my PS3 (with a simple audio switch button). So this would mean keeping my old speakers for the PS3 plus adding the Z-10 for movie watching. Minus 10 Zen points.

Something like the Griffin iMic but with dual outputs would be a solution.
opnop123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac