Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opnop123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Folks,

Anyone know of any single-button solution to switch audio to different outputs? I want to switch between three outputs: the iMac's internal speakers, external speakers, headphones.

Apparently there's no way to switch between internal/external in software? The iMac's audio connector is hardwired so one must plug/unplug the cable physically to make the Mac notice it.

I'm prepared to buy new speakers + cables + an external audio switch for this, or AirPlay. Someone solved it?

The Griffin iMic solves half of this problem; it only has one output, I need two...

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The easiest solution would be to get USB speakers as you can switch between the internal speakers and USB speakers without any extra software. Then if you want to use the headphones, plug them in.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2010-09-18 kohteessa 13.38.35.png
    Näyttökuva 2010-09-18 kohteessa 13.38.35.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 98

yzc717

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
In windows 7 under bootcamp, you can actually switch which default audio out for playback, and it works.

opnop123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Hellhammer, the Z-10 look nice. This eliminates one problem: plugging/unplugging the external speakers.

However, the plugging/unplugging of the headphones will still be a nuisance. I have my external speakers in the other end of the room (big screen for movie watching), so I'll have to walk over there to plug/unplug the headphones.

Also I share my current external speakers with my PS3 (with a simple audio switch button). So this would mean keeping my old speakers for the PS3 plus adding the Z-10 for movie watching. Minus 10 Zen points.

Something like the Griffin iMic but with dual outputs would be a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.