Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:01 PM   #26
androiphone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I keep a backup of all the old versions of apps so if an update breaks somethng I can just use the old version,

but there is just one app I dont update and that's pacman lite because on the new versions you only get one level before you have to restart the app but the old version you get one free level on all 3 difficulties and to restart the level you just click restart! so there are plenty of reasons why not to update!

but to answer the question I dont think there is a way to stop it showing up, at least I haven't found a way and just update each other app manually, but I've never been too fussed.
androiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:06 PM   #27
Ashin
macrumors 6502a
 
Ashin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Same situation here, but with a free app, so nothing dodgy here.

Basically Speedtest.net app, the new version is horrible, would love to remove the update icon for it
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:56 PM   #28
djgulia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chembox View Post
I love how everyone is jumping on OP and assuming he's a pirate and crook. There were many times I didn't want to update an application. For example, Pandora's update recently said that they added ads while listening to music, and explicitly said 'Don't update if you want to hear radio without ads'. Another example would be Shazam updating to a limited amount of tags per month.

I wish I had read about Shazam before updating the app. Of course I don't have the old version either.
__________________
3rd Gen Green iPod Nano 8GB Black iPhone 3G 8GB (sold) Black Macbook Black iPhone 4 32GB
White iPad 2 32GB
djgulia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:03 PM   #29
gslrider
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Most signs point to he pirated the app.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.
2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.
3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

I would say more than likely he pirated the app.



I wouldn't say pessimistic, more like realistic.
Ok. Too all the numb nuts who think I'm pirating apps...my iPhone ISN'T jailbroken. I don't believe in it, since most apps I have were available for free through the apps store, like the particular app I'm referring to. It's called Tiltshift Generator. Look it up. I don't need to jailbreak my phone, all the apps that could ever be useful to me is available for free in the app store. If not, I DO buy it.

Alaerian wins the prize. This particular app is removing a feature. It even says, if you don't want to lose it, don't update. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for the feature.

I hope you all don't have big feet, because now you have to take it out of your mouths. Never assume. I posted the question to get an answer, not be ridiculed and stoned, WITHOUT so much as anyone of you tards asking if it was pirated or not (meaning the ones who assume I have pirated software).

And for the Mr. "no it all" Maverick. Let me answer your questions. Are you ready? You have your thinking cap on. Reading glasses? Brain is turned on (whatever is left of it)? I don't want to have to be explaining myself again.

1. He claims he wants to turn off an update feature for a certain app and doesn't exclaim why.

I didn't claim to want to turn off the feature, I asked how to get rid of that particular app from the update notice. Here is the question again...Anyone know how I can get rid of an update notice for an app I don't want to update? How much more explanatory is that?

2. His rank is a newbie so he probably doesn't come on the forum enough to see how bad people get chastised for using stolen apps.

I don't go on here just for shitz and giggles. If I have a question, I post. If I can answer, I post. Other than that, I do have a life that occupies me from being here. I've been in enough forums to know that people who like to attack others without provocations are those that really don't have much to do, and are extremely insecure. So they have to put others down to make themselves feel better about their own sorrowful existence. Case an point for you.

You know the old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", well "don't judge a poster by the number of posts he has". As you can see I've been here since 2005. You've only been around since what...2008. So technically, your more of a newb than I am. I'll also add that I've been an Apple guy for very, very long time.


3. He hasn't defended himself against the accusations.

Again, I have a life that keeps me from spending my time on here 24/7. I reply when I reply. And I think I've defended myself pretty good...haven't I. lol

Here's a little life tip for you, and the rest of the know it all tards... don't make accusations until you get the facts straight. Saves you from looking like asses. If you can't answer the question, don't bother posting. Stick to the topic. Sheesh, don't you guys know the forum rules.

To the rest, who defended me in my absence, much appreciated. Gives me hope in humanity that intelligence isn't all wasted on some people.

Now...is there any way for me to be rid of this ONE update notice?
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB

Last edited by gslrider; Sep 18, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:13 PM   #30
kiantech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrider View Post
Ok. Too all the numb nuts who think I'm pirating apps...my iPhone ISN'T jailbroken. I don't believe in it, since most apps I have were available for free through the apps store, like the particular app I'm referring to. It's called Tiltshift Generator. Look it up. I don't need to jailbreak my phone, all the apps that could ever be useful to me is available for free in the app store. If not, I DO buy it.
Damn...you just shut everyone up!

And sorry I don't know how to prevent it from updating, also if I were you I would go to the itunes folder and copy that .ipa file just incase you accidentally update it you have a back up.
kiantech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:15 PM   #31
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiantech View Post
Damn...you just shut everyone up!

And sorry I don't know how to prevent it from updating, also if I were you I would go to the itunes folder and copy that .ipa file just incase you accidentally update it you have a back up.
That is indeed a very good piece of advice, long as you've got a copy of it you can always revert to non updated version even if it gets updated by accident.
iMacDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:18 PM   #32
Corndog5595
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I apologize for making false accusations and assumptions. I believe you only have two options, excluding deleting the app.

Jailbreak, install AppSync, and do some .plist editing.
Jailbreak, install that app that scrubs MetaData. Somebody had referred to it earlier in this thread.
Corndog5595 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:21 PM   #33
gslrider
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiantech View Post
Damn...you just shut everyone up!

And sorry I don't know how to prevent it from updating, also if I were you I would go to the itunes folder and copy that .ipa file just incase you accidentally update it you have a back up.
lol. I really don't like putting people in their place, I'm not that type of guy. I like to think everyone is intelligent enough, and have common sense to respect everyone else. But when I'm put in that situation, well, I just hope that these people have enough smarts to back up their shitz, or they get sent to the corner with the dunce cap.

Thanks for that tip. I usually do a back up of my restore, but not the ipsw.
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:26 PM   #34
gslrider
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog5595 View Post
I apologize for making false accusations and assumptions. I believe you only have two options, excluding deleting the app.

Jailbreak, install AppSync, and do some .plist editing.
Jailbreak, install that app that scrubs MetaData. Somebody had referred to it earlier in this thread.
Well it was good of you to acknowledge that. Most people will never admit to being wrong. Shows character on your part. Thanks for the tips. But like I said, I don't believe in jailbreaking my phone. Unless it has extremely beneficial aspects to it (other than free apps), I don't like messing with my "toys". lol

Of course, with all the other issues iOS 4.x.x is doing to my phone, I have been contemplating it. As it's the only way I can revert back to iOS 3.1.2 (when my phone was running flawlessly). We'll see.

Peace.
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:35 PM   #35
Corndog5595
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I just attempted something, but iTunes can detect any change made to an IPA and won’t let the app sync unless AppSync is installed (jailbreak...).

You are SOL.
Corndog5595 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:36 PM   #36
Savor
macrumors 68000
 
Savor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by felch View Post
I refuse to update plants vs zombies because I don't want to lose micheal Jackson zombies.
Yup, same here. I also didn't update a LED flashlight app because I read it delays the launch a bit. Sometimes we don't want to update for those reasons. I regret updating Talking Tom because it has all this crap on it now. Alot better in the earlier versions where it wasn't asking us to buy something with their ads.
Savor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:38 PM   #37
840quadra
Moderator
 
840quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of Free outdoor Freezers
I usually just delete the application from the ipod (or iPhone now that I have one lol), update all my applications that are located on it, and then copy the non updated program back down from my computer.

It is tedious, but it keeps my Pandora, Shizam, and a few other applications from updating with less features.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:43 PM   #38
Alaerian
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrider View Post
Alaerian wins the prize. This particular app is removing a feature. It even says, if you don't want to lose it, don't update. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for the feature.
I rest my case.
Should I expect my prize in the mail? =D I hope it's good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrider View Post
Here's a little life tip for you, and the rest of the know it all [people]... don't make accusations until you get the facts straight. Saves you from looking like asses.
Excellent way to sum it up.

EDIT:
Just noticed the sig above me:
"Is amazed how a lack of evidence, suddenly becomes hard evidence ... "
-- Tariq Bernardino

Interesting how that can be applied here

Last edited by Alaerian; Sep 18, 2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: interesting signature :)
Alaerian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:58 PM   #39
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrider View Post
Thanks for that tip. I usually do a back up of my restore, but not the ipsw.
Not ipsw, ipa. ipsw is the OS, ipa files are the individual apps. If you don't want to lose a previous version of an app, you need to backup the ipa for that version.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:27 PM   #40
Drag'nGT
macrumors 68000
 
Drag'nGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I remember not wanting to update Shazam when it went from unlimited free tags to a limit of 5. There are real reasons to avoid an update although it's not that common.
__________________
You had me at
In love with my rMBP.
Drag'nGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:47 PM   #41
Alaerian
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post
I remember not wanting to update Shazam when it went from unlimited free tags to a limit of 5. There are real reasons to avoid an update although it's not that common.
I've had Shazam for so long that I was fortunate enough to keep the unlimited tags. I can update as often as I want and I will never have to pay for that functionality. Under payment status, my app says:
"We've given you unlimited tagging for being with us from the early days!"
Alaerian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:09 PM   #42
gslrider
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog5595 View Post
I just attempted something, but iTunes can detect any change made to an IPA and won’t let the app sync unless AppSync is installed (jailbreak...).

You are SOL.
What did you do? ie. backed up the ipa file, deleted the app from the iPhone, synced, then put the ipa file back in Mobile Applications and re-synced.
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:10 PM   #43
Corndog5595
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrider View Post
What did you do? ie. backed up the ipa file, deleted the app from the iPhone, synced, then put the ipa file back in Mobile Applications and re-synced.
I switched the binary files of the two apps.

You could try that though.
Corndog5595 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:15 PM   #44
ntrigue
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
I would Sign Out under Settings.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:19 PM   #45
deannnnn
macrumors 68000
 
deannnnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City & South Florida
Way To Go Op!
__________________
MacBook Pro (Retina) / iPhone 5S
deannnnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:13 PM   #46
djgulia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaerian View Post
I've had Shazam for so long that I was fortunate enough to keep the unlimited tags. I can update as often as I want and I will never have to pay for that functionality. Under payment status, my app says:
"We've given you unlimited tagging for being with us from the early days!"
How long ago were the "early days" if you don't mind me asking? I've had the app for just under 2 years. Was one of the first apps I downloaded when I got my 3G. If i recall correctly, apps didn't exist for the 2G until 3.0 came out, right?
__________________
3rd Gen Green iPod Nano 8GB Black iPhone 3G 8GB (sold) Black Macbook Black iPhone 4 32GB
White iPad 2 32GB
djgulia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:33 PM   #47
Alaerian
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgulia View Post
How long ago were the "early days" if you don't mind me asking? I've had the app for just under 2 years. Was one of the first apps I downloaded when I got my 3G. If i recall correctly, apps didn't exist for the 2G until 3.0 came out, right?
I remember Shazam being one of the first applications I downloaded from the app store. The app store released at the end of June 2008, I think. I did find this on an 11/9/09 press release (http://www.shazam.com/music/web/news...?nid=NEWS088):

"Shazam will continue to support the existing free Shazam app on the App Store with new users limited to five Tags per month. Existing Shazam users will get all of these great features they've come to expect from Shazam without any limitations Additionally, the free Shazam app has been enhanced with services such as the ability to share Tags onto a Facebook mini-feed."

So, it appears that anyone who had the app installed before then should have been kicked over to unlimited tags. However, I've no idea if that was dependent on the app being installed the entire time or not. Mine was.
Alaerian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:55 PM   #48
djgulia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks. I went through my purchase history and was mistaken. I didn't download Shazam until Jan 09.

I had unlimited tags until the update earlier this month. I just read the press release from Sept 3, 2010 and it says this.

Quote:
Also, starting today, users will be able to upgrade to Shazam Encore from within the App. They can choose to buy the premium version for an annual fee of $2.99 (launch offer) or choose lifetime at $4.99. Alternatively they can stay with the free version offering five tags a month***.

***Existing users who downloaded the Shazam App before Encore and (SHAZAM) RED was launched in November 2009 will be able to enjoy all the new features, without tagging limitations.
Since I downloaded the app 10 months beforehand I should have the unlimited tags. Going to have to contact them.
__________________
3rd Gen Green iPod Nano 8GB Black iPhone 3G 8GB (sold) Black Macbook Black iPhone 4 32GB
White iPad 2 32GB
djgulia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:02 PM   #49
chembox
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I went through my App Directory folder off iTunes and found two versions of Shazam, one from last year. I dragged it onto iTunes and replaced the new Shazam (with limited tagging) with the old Shazam. I should have unlimited tagging now.
chembox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:05 PM   #50
Surrix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaerian View Post
I remember Shazam being one of the first applications I downloaded from the app store. The app store released at the end of June 2008, I think. I did find this on an 11/9/09 press release (http://www.shazam.com/music/web/news...?nid=NEWS088):

"Shazam will continue to support the existing free Shazam app on the App Store with new users limited to five Tags per month. Existing Shazam users will get all of these great features they've come to expect from Shazam without any limitations Additionally, the free Shazam app has been enhanced with services such as the ability to share Tags onto a Facebook mini-feed."

So, it appears that anyone who had the app installed before then should have been kicked over to unlimited tags. However, I've no idea if that was dependent on the app being installed the entire time or not. Mine was.
I've had it since July 10, 2008 with July 11, 2008 being my first tag. I didn't get this free extra functionality though :\
Surrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Apple Store' iOS App Update Coming Tuesday with Free iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore Deals MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Jul 31, 2013 03:48 AM
Getting rid of the App Store notifications iRock1 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 10 Apr 7, 2013 04:43 PM
App Store Doesn't Update after iOS 6 Update LegitJEB iOS 6 1 Mar 8, 2013 11:00 AM
iPhone: Getting rid of the annoying number above various icons (settings/app store) StinkyDonk Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 10 Nov 7, 2012 08:38 PM
Software Update, App Store, and iTunes Store not working laserbeam273 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 24, 2012 06:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC