Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I have an iBook 600 that I bought last December and an iMac DV 400 and wondered if I would notice any performance improvement in 10.2. My computers are just G3's with ATI Rage video cards with 8 MB of video RAM so I know that I will not be able to even use the new Quartz Extreme feature, but even without that will I see some improvement with regards to speed and responsiveness? Also does system RAM help a lot with OSX? I have been using it just fine on my machines since last December, I have 256MB on my iBook and it does seem to do better then my older iMac with only 128MB. Would it be worth my money if I am going to keep my old Blueberry DV around for another year to up the RAM to like 512MB and put 10.2 on it. Will I see much of a difference? Has anyone with a G3 processor (other then the current iBook, which is designed for 10.2) that updated to 10.2 seen much of a performance gain? I would like some help here.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
From what I read from Dual USB iBook owners...it feels like you're on a G4.

My copy of Jaguar should come in today so I'll post again after I play around with it

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Yes you should. Its awesome. Its really fast and the new features are awesome. Just get no need to ask more questions. I think it one of apple best.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Thanks...I will be interested in hearing from more G3 owners as they get it and then I will probably buy it for my machines. Thanks for the feedback...also will more RAM in my iMac DV 400 help a little? How much can you actually put in a Blueberry iMac DV with regards to RAM. If more RAM and 10.2 helps some I will probably save my money and hold on to my old iMac for another year or so. It is okay in 10.1.5 with 128MB of RAM, but I would like it to feel a little more like it used to in OS9. Thanks.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Fast iBook 466mhz!?!?!?

As most of you know I have the old iBook Special Edition(Key Lime) G3 466mhz 320 RAM (MAX) 10GB HAD (upgrading to a 40GB when I have the $$$) and FireWire and DVD. Will I see better performencewith Mac OS 10.2? I want my iBook to be _-_-_-_-_FAST!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.