Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1
skeen
macrumors 6502

Boot camp: OSX not booting

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to help with his computer - he has a Macbook Pro, and the issue is that OSX isn't booting, while his Windows 7 is.

We get the boot screen, allowing us to select either Windows or "HDD", the latter pertaining to the OSX installation.

Upon clicking it, the loading screen comes up, with the spinning grey circle...but it doesn't boot. I've tried booting in safe mode, and in this instance I can get the booting bar...but it fills to only about 70% before disappearing, leaving me with the same problem as before.

He hasn't used the OSX installation, so we're not opposed to obliterating it at all....my thoughts were to just reinstall OSX, or simply...install OSX on that partition - if that's quite straightforward?

Essentially, I want to do this without messing up the Windows installation, which while we have backed it up, we don't have the disc for.
iPhone 4 16GB (O2 UK)
skeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Grannyville7989
macrumors 6502a

I've had this exact some problem last year. I discovered that this kept on happening to me because the 3G broadband USB dongle that I had wasn't compatible with Snow Leopard and kept corrupting something.

I fixed this problem by inserting my installation disc of OS X, running the installation as normal (selecting the OS X partition that I already had to install on), the installation ran and everything was back up to normal as if nothing happened. All of my applications and documents were still where they were intact. And if left my Windows 7 partition untouched.
Grannyville7989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro