Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
London, England
Hi all,

A friend has asked me to help with his computer - he has a Macbook Pro, and the issue is that OSX isn't booting, while his Windows 7 is.

We get the boot screen, allowing us to select either Windows or "HDD", the latter pertaining to the OSX installation.

Upon clicking it, the loading screen comes up, with the spinning grey circle...but it doesn't boot. I've tried booting in safe mode, and in this instance I can get the booting bar...but it fills to only about 70% before disappearing, leaving me with the same problem as before.

He hasn't used the OSX installation, so we're not opposed to obliterating it at all....my thoughts were to just reinstall OSX, or simply...install OSX on that partition - if that's quite straightforward?

Essentially, I want to do this without messing up the Windows installation, which while we have backed it up, we don't have the disc for.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've had this exact some problem last year. I discovered that this kept on happening to me because the 3G broadband USB dongle that I had wasn't compatible with Snow Leopard and kept corrupting something.

I fixed this problem by inserting my installation disc of OS X, running the installation as normal (selecting the OS X partition that I already had to install on), the installation ran and everything was back up to normal as if nothing happened. All of my applications and documents were still where they were intact. And if left my Windows 7 partition untouched. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.