Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lampl516

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
I am so frustrated! This is the fourth webcam I've tried. I have downloaded drivers and nothing ever works.

This is the GearHead Quick 8.0 MP Auto Focus Webcam. I put in the cd and it came up with the Webcam Driver. One says setup.exe and one says autorun.inf Obviously the .exe didn't work and the autorun.inf pulled up text edit. I tried to go on the website and download the driver and it gives me the same things. I just don't know what to do!!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Maybe it doesn't need a driver? Does iChat show when you go go to "Preferences -> Audio/Video?"

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Any webcam that you buy has to be UVC compatible to work with the mac. The drivers for these webcams are built into OSX. Any others are going to require 3rd party drivers or won't work at all.

There are several good webcams that work with the mini. You can even get the xbox 360 webcam for around $20 that works with it.

see more here: http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

Lampl516

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for all your help. It was a clear, blonde error. I didn't have a way to test the camera, until you mention iChat, DUH! Once it worked on that I assumed it would probably work elsewhere, and it does. Thanks for all your help.
Btw, the picture is great, so anyone looking for a nice webcam, I would recommend this one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.