Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
I'm curious to see what everyone has to say about all of the different cases available and maybe find new designs I haven't seen yet. Signal degradation and price aside.
Element- (impressed) I like the overall look, it appears to be well thought out and original in style. I think the anodizing color choices were well made. The customer service is lacking (an understatement).
Fusionwerkz Sabre- (marginally impressed) The styling of the case is good. I would have liked to see integrated volume buttons, and maybe a little thinner construction. I don't really like the anodizing colors, but black is always good.
Fusionwerkz RAW- (not impressed) I like the idea, but it looks too thick for my fat fingers, especially to reach the sleep button. Also looks alot like the Exo6, albeit an improvement in styling. Just sad it wont fit my big fingers.
Atomic- (marginally impressed) Looks cool, just, it looks identical to the Element. I like the look, obviously, I would order it if I hadn't already ordered the Element. The color choices could use some additions.
Exovault Exo5- (impressed) Overall it is pretty cool. I really don't know what is better, aluminum or brass. The engraving is a nice touch, I would just like to see more design options. The wood inlay is a very classy touch.
Exovault Exo6- (not impressed) Like the RAW, I like the idea. However, I don't like the way the front panel covers parts of the front glass panel of the phone.
Alumacase- (impressed) The style is different from what I've seen so far. I like the look, shape and color choices. By color matching the carbon backplate (sticker), they have really impressed me. Plus the pink color is hot.
These are the cases I have been able to find so far. I like the idea overall, although some manufacturers need to be a little more creative. I have ordered and I am waiting to order some of these cases, so I have not used any of them. These opinions are based purely on ascetics. What else is available that I haven't sited?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I'm curious to see what everyone has to say about all of the different cases available and maybe find new designs I haven't seen yet. Signal degradation and price aside.
Element- (impressed) I like the overall look, it appears to be well thought out and original in style. I think the anodizing color choices were well made. The customer service is lacking (an understatement).
Fusionwerkz Sabre- (marginally impressed) The styling of the case is good. I would have liked to see integrated volume buttons, and maybe a little thinner construction. I don't really like the anodizing colors, but black is always good.
Fusionwerkz RAW- (not impressed) I like the idea, but it looks too thick for my fat fingers, especially to reach the sleep button. Also looks alot like the Exo6, albeit an improvement in styling. Just sad it wont fit my big fingers.
Atomic- (marginally impressed) Looks cool, just, it looks identical to the Element. I like the look, obviously, I would order it if I hadn't already ordered the Element. The color choices could use some additions.
Exovault Exo5- (impressed) Overall it is pretty cool. I really don't know what is better, aluminum or brass. The engraving is a nice touch, I would just like to see more design options. The wood inlay is a very classy touch.
Exovault Exo6- (not impressed) Like the RAW, I like the idea. However, I don't like the way the front panel covers parts of the front glass panel of the phone.
Alumacase- (impressed) The style is different from what I've seen so far. I like the look, shape and color choices. By color matching the carbon backplate (sticker), they have really impressed me. Plus the pink color is hot.
These are the cases I have been able to find so far. I like the idea overall, although some manufacturers need to be a little more creative. I have ordered and I am waiting to order some of these cases, so I have not used any of them. These opinions are based purely on ascetics. What else is available that I haven't sited?

Glad you put this all together. It organizes the options very well.

Amazingly I'm in agreement with all your opinions but one. i like Fusionwerkz RAW (with an open back), but I have boney fingers that can get to buttons. I feel like it's a clean simple design. With the open sides and back it may be better with the antenna/signal issue. I hope it doesn't clamp down directly on the glass. A drop could scratch or brake the glass.

OMG I've become addicted to these metal case streams. Someone shoot me!!!!

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I've never seen or heard of the fusionwerks RAW case. Looks pretty cool to me actually!

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC

That is a pretty neat looking case design. And it looks like it would allow for my fat digits to push all the important buttons. I'm going to email them today and find out how long before they ship. I want to try it out. My main gripe about the Raw is that i don't think I would be able to push the buttons. So this is kinda nice.

Kansasjayhawks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
But if you get this, let us know how it works out for you and snap a few pics also.
That is a pretty neat looking case design. And it looks like it would allow for my fat digits to push all the important buttons. I'm going to email them today and find out how long before they ship. I want to try it out. My main gripe about the Raw is that i don't think I would be able to push the buttons. So this is kinda nice.

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
But if you get this, let us know how it works out for you and snap a few pics also.

Right now Im waiting for a Vapor, that is the only one I have ordered yet.(my wife doesn't understand my interest in cases for my phone) Im going to wait for an email response from Karas before I decide to order, and I really want to order an Exo5 in brass but a different engraving, I haven't for a design to submit to them yet. I want something clockwork like, like steam punk. I will order a Fusionwerkz Sabre when I get the notification that I can order one. I will do a review for each with a few days of getting them, so I can get a feel for what it can and can't do. Hopefully I wont come across as biased or on the take from anyone. But to be honest I really like the Exo5.

Kansasjayhawks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
What's the Exo5?
Right now Im waiting for a Vapor, that is the only one I have ordered yet.(my wife doesn't understand my interest in cases for my phone) Im going to wait for an email response from Karas before I decide to order, and I really want to order an Exo5 in brass but a different engraving, I haven't for a design to submit to them yet. I want something clockwork like, like steam punk. I will order a Fusionwerkz Sabre when I get the notification that I can order one. I will do a review for each with a few days of getting them, so I can get a feel for what it can and can't do. Hopefully I wont come across as biased or on the take from anyone. But to be honest I really like the Exo5.

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
What's the Exo5?

http://exovault.com check them out. The reason I started this was to hopefully find new case designs and maybe help other to do the same. And to through out our feelings on the style. We already know that for the most part we will lose signal strength and so on, so no need to talk about that. But take a look around at their stuff. More art than anything else. Quite a bit more expensive too, I'm looking at $185 for the brass engraved case.

Kansasjayhawks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Nevermind, found it. To be honest, not really my style either. Kind of blocky, takes to much away from the look of the phone.

Kansasjayhawks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
I mean its not bad, but you really can not even tell it's a IPhone in there anymore. And that thing is completely square. I just don't know about that one.
http://exovault.com check them out. The reason I started this was to hopefully find new case designs and maybe help other to do the same. And to through out our feelings on the style. We already know that for the most part we will lose signal strength and so on, so no need to talk about that. But take a look around at their stuff. More art than anything else. Quite a bit more expensive too, I'm looking at $185 for the brass engraved case.

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
To each their own, I think it is the brass that really gets me going, and that the case is closed with magnets for easy in and out is pretty neat too. I haven't seen anyone review this case anywhere. I have seen older versions for the 3g reviewed but nothing for the 4g yet. I have contacted them also and received a response pretty quickly. Within somewhere around 8 hours or so.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I'll post up pics and review of the Karas custom case. I like the 'industrial' looks of it.

I'm a case nut too. Looked at the aluminum options listed, and also like the Vapor/Alumacase, but signal is a concern (see that other thread!). Would be interesting if someone does something like these in another hard material (delrin comes to mind).

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
I'll post up pics and review of the Karas custom case. I like the 'industrial' looks of it.

I'm a case nut too. Looked at the aluminum options listed, and also like the Vapor/Alumacase, but signal is a concern (see that other thread!). Would be interesting if someone does something like these in another hard material (delrin comes to mind).

Kevlar would be pretty cool, may be a little bulky but "bulletproof" none the less.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

I think those cases make your phone look like the original gameboy. :D

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
The only ones I like are the Vapor, Alumacase, Fusion Raw, and the Atomic. Of those the Vapor is still the best looking imo. Some of those cases are uggo. :D

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
And after seeing the GearDiary testing and Larry Greenberg et al's review, I'm skeptical that any metal case that wraps metal around the antenna won't degrade signal.

I can't risk finding myself in an area where I can't make a trade & can't remove a case to try to grab a weak signal. Perhaps they'll work better with Verizon in the future.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Any of these cases come with a screen protector, say glass or plastic? Im not to fond of screen quards that sometimes dont fight right with a case.

thepsychopinkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
I decided to just order the Karas without getting an email response from them. For $39 flat its worth a try. We will see what arrives first the Element or the Karas. I will however, let every know what I think of each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.