Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1
fv1
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS (activate the phone - only emergency calls)

Hello,
I just bought iPhone 3GS which was unlocked.
It's camera was frozen and I read online and connected to the iTunes and restored the phone - probably did wrong.
Now, it's in the mode where it shows the picture where I need to connect the iPhone to the iTunes and it gives me only emergency call options.

The phone is 3GS 16GB, I don't know about the firmware.
When it is connected to the iTunes, it only says: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

I have a T-Mobile sim card, not AT&T.
My laptop is a MacBook version 10.4.11

How could I activate this phone so I could start using it?

Thanks for help!
fv1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
SpaceKitty
Banned

It sounds like you restored it to the latest firmware, 4.1 which can't be unlocked at this time.

All you can do is wait until an unlock comes soon which will be after the jailbreak.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Bad idea to restore to official firmware a jb and unlocked iPhone.
Now you're on 4.1 with no jb or unlock available.
All you can do is wait.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:48 PM   #4
fv1
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help!

But how could I get the phone out of the mode: when it is connected to the iTunes, it only says: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

So, I could get it to work (not calling or texting) and maybe can listen music for so long
fv1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fv1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the help!

But how could I get the phone out of the mode: when it is connected to the iTunes, it only says: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

So, I could get it to work (not calling or texting) and maybe can listen music for so long
Do you have a friend who will allow you to borrow their AT&T sim card for a minute? Do you have a non activated new AT&T sim card? If so, you can activate the AT&T sim card on the AT&T GoPhone website and just not add any funds to the account. The sim card will activate the iPhone. You can stop at an AT&T store and ask for a sim card. You would also need a GoPhones IMEI # and you can find some by searching Google.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting