Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snigrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Hello everyone,
I got my iPhone in the middle of August and have had no complaints up until now. Two days ago (Saturday 9/18) my phone's mic cut out in the middle of a conversation. I could hear the other person perfectly, but they couldn't hear me at all. I received a call later in the day and it worked for a few minutes and then the same problem occurred. I called them back and it worked for the rest of the conversation but the normal speaker used for phone calls (not speaker phone) started crackling. Now whenever I call someone or get calls my mic works intermittently and there's an almost constant crackling on my end of the line which goes away if I use speakerphone. The mic also appears to work when I use speakerphone but I haven't tested it that much. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a solution other than getting a replacement phone? I'm at college and there isn't an apple store anywhere near me and going without a phone for weeks would be a huge inconvenience.

Edit: If this helps, the speaker works absolutely fine playing music or any other noises, and the mic works fine for voice memos.

rocketsy2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
When placing a call on iphone 4 mic most of the time doesn't work

I'm having the same problem. When on a call, mic doesn't work, so the other party doesn't seem to hear my conversation. But when I try to record a video, I can hear my voice. I'm not sure what is the reason, I tried restarting my phone and no use. Any clue?

run-iphone4

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
Sound's like exactly the same problem I have. The Crackle would indicate to me that there's a problem with the phone and I intend to take it back to the shop next week.

Did either of you find a solution?

run-iphone4

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
fixed the problem!

Try removing the SIM card and then putting it back. I've not had a problem since I did that.

Mohawker

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
I just experienced a similar issue, but the cracking was on the other end of the line, I could hear them fine, but they heard very severe crackling from me when I spoke. Tried removing the sim card, no joy. Finally noticed that I had about 27 items open in the background. Shut them all down, tried another call, crackling went away. I am thinking that one of the open apps had something to do with this.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Having same issue

Having the same issue - during calls only - not via Music playback.

* Occurs during calls connected Make/Receiving.
- Hard Reset and Restored HH from backup & setup as new phone.
- I've Reset Network Settings as well,
- Disabled EQ in iPod,

None of the above worked and also updated to IOS 4.3.3. Nothing.

rizsajid

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Having Same issue

Cracking Sound from Speaker and mic not working. However when i use SKYPE, the same mic n speaker both are working perfect.

Cant figure out whats the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.