Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:27 PM   #1
hikeNM
macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to watch movie rented on computer on Apple TV?

Howdy folks,

I rented a show on my iMac and would like to watch it on my TV. Is it possible?

Thanks
hikeNM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:39 PM   #2
amitdoc2b
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeNM View Post
Howdy folks,

Thanks
Yeah, you should be able to stream it over?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Howdy folks,

Thanks
This KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657?viewlocale=en_US says:
"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod if itís a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time."

However, this is from the original AppleTV which had a hard drive. Since the new AppleTV doesn't have a drive, you can't really "transfer" to it, but you can "stream" to it. I would think you will somehow "move" the movie to the AppleTV, and will actually stream from the internet (the "cloud") instead.
PurdueGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:45 PM   #4
hikeNM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
This KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657?viewlocale=en_US says:
"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod if itís a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time."

However, this is from the original AppleTV which had a hard drive. Since the new AppleTV doesn't have a drive, you can't really "transfer" to it, but you can "stream" to it. I would think you will somehow "move" the movie to the AppleTV, and will actually stream from the internet (the "cloud") instead.
Yeah, I'm using the Hard Drive AppleTV.

I've synced it several times, but the rented content isn't syncing to the TV. I'm a bit confused.
hikeNM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:54 PM   #5
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Is your Apple TV running the latest firmware? Authorized to your iTunes account, etc?

I've never done it, but I know it can be done. This might not be perfect, but here's some steps I found on the internet:

Follow the steps given below to rent movies from the iTunes Store on your Computer :
In iTunes on your computer, click iTunes Store.
In the iTunes Store, find a movie you want to rent.
Click Rent. Your movie will begin to download immediately.
Once the movie is downloaded, you can watch it on your computer or transfer the rental to a supported iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV.

Connect the device and select it in iTunes.
Click the Movies tab (for iPod), or the Videos tab (iPhone or Apple TV)
Select the movie, and then click Move.
After all movies have been moved, click Apply in the lower right corner of iTunes.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
kissmykumbaya
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using the Hard Drive AppleTV.

I've synced it several times, but the rented content isn't syncing to the TV. I'm a bit confused.
I'm not certain about the original atv, but the atv2 syncs into your library. In the library list, once a movie is rented on the computer, a "rental" menu comes up along with your music, movie and tv show etc libraries. I suspect it may be in the same spot on the original apple tv.
kissmykumbaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater