Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

ATV Optical Audio Port What is it for

I see the port on ATV's but I am not sure exactly what this is for and what is the benefit?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:34 PM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

optical audio connects to equipment like home receivers to transport the audio is a pure digital form. It also is THE best way to pump 5.1 surround to a receiver.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

You would use it if you have an audio receiver that doesn't have an Hdmi input, so you would route the optical to the receiver, and then the Hdmi from the apple tv to your tv for picture.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Ah now I get it, thanks all who responded.

Wicked1
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:58 PM   #5
bigpatky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
It also is THE best way to pump 5.1 surround to a receiver.
Is there a benefit over using hdmi, aside from not being capable of sending hd audio to a receiver? (even though the apple tv wouldn't play hd audio anyway)
bigpatky is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:10 PM   #6
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
It also is THE best way to pump 5.1 surround to a receiver.
No it isn't.

You are transmitting data, not audio. HDMI and optical will send the same information to your receiver.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:11 PM   #7
spice weasel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
Is there a benefit over using hdmi, aside from not being capable of sending hd audio to a receiver? (even though the apple tv wouldn't play hd audio anyway)
If you have a receiver with HDMI inputs, then it is easier to use that. Less cable clutter. If you are like me and have a 5.1 receiver with no HDMI, then optical audio to the receiver and HDMI to the television is the way to go.
spice weasel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:53 PM   #8
cwaddell2002
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
You are transmitting data, not audio. HDMI and optical will send the same information to your receiver.
Actually, thats not quite true. HDMI has the ability send 8 channels of uncompressed bit-streamed audio to a receiver or other device. Optical audio only has the capacity for 2 channels of uncompressed audio... now, wait wait, what about Dolby Digital 5.1? Well thats a compressed audio package, and optical has been updated to accommodate it, but HDMI has the capacity to carry higher resolution audio signals. In regards to the ATV, to my knowledge, DD 5.1 is the highest resolution surround format supported, but I could be wrong. However, lets be clear that while the ATV will send the same data over HDMI and optical, with its current software, the HDMI port has the capability to pass much higher resolution audio - which could come in the form of a software update sometime in the future...
cwaddell2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:16 PM   #9
TJRiver
macrumors 6502

Make sure your HDMI equipped receiver will split off the audio from the input instead of simply passing it through to the TV.

Cheaper receivers actually require you to take the audio from the TV, as follows: Blu-ray-HDMI-Receiver-HDMI-TV-Optical or RCA-receiver. This really defeats the simplicity of the HDMI cabling system. With gaming, this wiring scheme can create sufficient delay to throw off some fast paced games.
TJRiver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:33 PM   #10
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaddell2002 View Post
Actually, thats not quite true. HDMI has the ability send 8 channels of uncompressed bit-streamed audio to a receiver or other device. Optical audio only has the capacity for 2 channels of uncompressed audio... now, wait wait, what about Dolby Digital 5.1? Well thats a compressed audio package, and optical has been updated to accommodate it, but HDMI has the capacity to carry higher resolution audio signals. In regards to the ATV, to my knowledge, DD 5.1 is the highest resolution surround format supported, but I could be wrong. However, lets be clear that while the ATV will send the same data over HDMI and optical, with its current software, the HDMI port has the capability to pass much higher resolution audio - which could come in the form of a software update sometime in the future...
This is the true answer. The inclusion of optical is just a backwards compatibility thing for people without an HDMI capable receiver. I don't see Apple taking on more than DD 5.1 anytime soon though, it took them long enough just to add support for that. But anyone who says optical is better than HDMI for audio is dead wrong (even though in the case of the Apple TV they are equal in capability at the moment).
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:20 PM   #11
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
I went and bought a new receiver because I was getting more and more items to plug in, got it home only to find the HDMI inputs on the back are pass through only meaning that it doesn't leave the sound with the receiver and send the picture to the TV. I run optic for my appleTV, my PS3 and My Foxtel and then run HDMI direct to the TV for all three items.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater