Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
OK... below are some screen shots of my friends iMac(15 FP). She has done everything... from running permissions to reinstalling the OS and nothing. The screen randomly goes whacky. At this point we have no idea what it is... the computer is one of the first 15" iMac FP and don't know if there was something wrong with that batch BUT the darn thing worked great for years and then this.... It's been happening for about a year now. Strange. Does anyone have a clue what can be causing this problem? OR has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks in advance!

~e

screen shots link

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Here's the link. Edit: Nevermind, you fixed it! :)

I haven't seen this before, but I'm not sure that simply re-installing the OS will do it, unless you do a complete clean install that will remove preferences, etc.

Before that, though, it would help to understand what applications are running when this happens. Was something new recently installed? Any "hacks" or other questionable software?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
We've done a clean install. It doesn't do it with any perticular software. At times it does it just at start up. Other times, when you're just opening a window. Like I mentioned, it's a random occurance.

I have no clue.

~e

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I'm no expert, but that looks like a hardware problem to me. If you have the hardware diagnostic CD you may want to give it a whirl.

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
Hook it up to an external monitor and see if the image is still distorted. If it is, the logic board needs to be replaced.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
cfd said:
Hook it up to an external monitor and see if the image is still distorted. If it is, the logic board needs to be replaced.

It looks exactly the way my old iBook looked when the logic board cr*pped out.

I would say that's the likely culprit.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I just ran "OnyX" on the system and it help a little but still giving problems. I believe it's the Logic board at this point. It's all good anyway, she's due for a new Mac anyhow. <LOL>

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.