Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:48 AM   #51
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplicedBanjo View Post
See that's the problem. Yes, you can probably win in small claims court - BUT in order to file and adjudicate the case, you have to travel to the other party's state. Just doing that alone will probably cost more in airfare than the amount of the transaction, and your travel expenses are not compensable in court.

But it's even worse than that - just winning in small claims court doesn't mean you actually get the money. You will probably have to spend months, maybe years (occasionally decades) pursuing them until you are finally able to garnish their wages or otherwise force the transfer. In many cases, they can also just file bankruptcy and then you're out of luck.

You will probably win in small claims court if you go that route - and it will probably double the amount of money you lost. It's a travesty but it's true.

I know the original thread is very old, but PayPal is still terrible. I recently bought a product for $80 and the company sent me the wrong product, so they agreed to do an exchange for me. I sent it back, and they kept the product and never sent the replacement. They literally took my $80 and left me with nothing. PayPal was no help then either.

You would probably be better off giving your product to charity than selling it on eBay. At least you're giving it away to an honest and deserving person (hopefully) instead of giving it away to a thief.
Next time I sell something on eBay and it's expensive, I'll state very clearly on the description that I won't send the item until the cleared funds are in my bank account. At least then it's not PayPal holding onto them
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:28 AM   #52
SplicedBanjo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Next time I sell something on eBay and it's expensive, I'll state very clearly on the description that I won't send the item until the cleared funds are in my bank account. At least then it's not PayPal holding onto them
I don't think that will prevent a chargeback, though.
SplicedBanjo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:36 AM   #53
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Uh . . . . the OP said that the charge back came a week or two later. I would post negative feedback for you if you waiting over 24 hours.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedrizvi21 View Post
something happened with me and I lost a iPhone 3gs 32gb white about 1.5 years ago.

YOu can't do anything...>Paypal has also blocked my id and now I use AMAZOn....**** PAYPAL AND EBAY
PayPal and eBay do not block your ID unless there is a good reason.

You are not telling the WHOLE story.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:03 PM   #54
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I don't know how this worked in the past (this thread is over a year old) but I have been doing quite a bit of selling on eBay recently and seller protection should cover you in these cases.

There are three things to remember:
1. Ship only to a confirmed/verified address (it tells yu if the address is such right on paypal)
2. Ship with a tracking number. If you don't use paypal to pay for shipping make sure you update shipping with paypal (enter the tracking number you are given at the post office or whatever shipping service you use).
3. Items over $250 must be insured, no ifs ands or buts.

If you follow those three steps and there is a chargeback, open a case with paypal. They will take care of you and paypal will eat the loss if they have to. Ironically I just sold a last year's model macbook air on eBay for $850 and the same thing happened to me. Positive feedback and everything. The money was removed from my account when the charge back occurred, but was replaced by paypal within 10 days when their investigation was completed.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:56 PM   #55
bassett700
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I don't know how this worked in the past (this thread is over a year old) but I have been doing quite a bit of selling on eBay recently and seller protection should cover you in these cases.

There are three things to remember:
1. Ship only to a confirmed/verified address (it tells yu if the address is such right on paypal)
2. Ship with a tracking number. If you don't use paypal to pay for shipping make sure you update shipping with paypal (enter the tracking number you are given at the post office or whatever shipping service you use).
3. Items over $250 must be insured, no ifs ands or buts.

If you follow those three steps and there is a chargeback, open a case with paypal. They will take care of you and paypal will eat the loss if they have to. Ironically I just sold a last year's model macbook air on eBay for $850 and the same thing happened to me. Positive feedback and everything. The money was removed from my account when the charge back occurred, but was replaced by paypal within 10 days when their investigation was completed.
Critical step #4: Require an adult signature at delivery. No signature for items over $250....virtually no protection.
bassett700 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:58 PM   #56
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett700 View Post
Critical step #4: Require an adult signature at delivery. No signature for items over $250....virtually no protection.
I actually forgot to add that. And yes you are 100% correct.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:32 PM   #57
syedrizvi21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
Uh . . . . the OP said that the charge back came a week or two later. I would post negative feedback for you if you waiting over 24 hours.

----------

PayPal and eBay do not block your ID unless there is a good reason.

You are not telling the WHOLE story.
My Ebay ID works but Paypal still showing the same charge back and i am still fighting....I don't use them anymore ....

www.SyedRizvi.shutterfly.com
syedrizvi21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:45 PM   #58
OceanView
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedrizvi21 View Post
My Ebay ID works but Paypal still showing the same charge back and i am still fighting....I don't use them anymore ....
Besides PP are there any options?
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:14 PM   #59
luked14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
eBay now allows Moneybookers, Paymate, and ProPay but I don't know if they are any better than PayPal.
luked14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:23 PM   #60
tnisatard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked14 View Post
eBay now allows Moneybookers, Paymate, and ProPay but I don't know if they are any better than PayPal.
I just stick with craigslist now. I filter out people by the way they talk to me (some people give me way too much attitude on craigslist), and I meet up at a public place.

Just be sure to come with a friend, and make sure the bills are legit. I usually meet up at the bank because there should be a lot of cameras, and the tellers can verify the money.
tnisatard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:32 PM   #61
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
I know buyers would be at the mercy of the seller to do the right thing, but only accepting money orders (or bank check) would be a way of never losing your money. If you can't cash it, then don't send the item.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 01:38 AM   #62
ratsg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Assuming PP is paypal, when purchasing on eBay, I only use either a personal check or a money order. I never use paypal.
ratsg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 08:26 AM   #63
Acorn
macrumors 68020

the trouble with not using paypal is you give the buyer 0 protection against any type of fraud by simply not sending the item. you basically can cash the check and keep the item. so many buyers wont touch this type of seller. it cuts your buyers at the very least in half.

paypal can be a pain in the rump. i sold a laptop and ebay had a hold on the money for over 2 weeks because the buyer never left me any feedback. i contacted the buyer several times to release the money with no response. finally i contacted paypal and showed shipping proof and they released the money. its irritating as all hell to have the money siting there but no access to it.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 08:42 AM   #64
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
There are a few other choices but eBay owns PayPal and it is the best for making a secure and safe deal. I have over 600 sales/purchases and never had a serious problem.

If you play by the rules, you will be protected.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
Assuming PP is paypal, when purchasing on eBay, I only use either a personal check or a money order. I never use paypal.
There is no protection for anyone using a personal check or money order and it is not supported by eBay.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 07:39 PM   #65
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Did anybody realize this thread is from September.. Of LAST YEAR? OP probably had this solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
I was about to say the same thing... It was an interesting read though. I wonder what happened in the end?
Yes, that's why it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
PNutts is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:28 AM   #66
Invincibilizer
macrumors 6502a

I love how the original poster never came back and updated us with what had happened.

Life always leaves people hanging. Argh!
Invincibilizer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 04:37 AM   #67
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnisatard View Post
I just stick with craigslist now. I filter out people by the way they talk to me (some people give me way too much attitude on craigslist), and I meet up at a public place.

Just be sure to come with a friend, and make sure the bills are legit. I usually meet up at the bank because there should be a lot of cameras, and the tellers can verify the money.
I like the police station. If there honest buyers then they should live the idea. Or the cell phone carrier.

just saw this is a old thread I hate when people dig these things up...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:51 AM   #68
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplicedBanjo View Post
I don't think that will prevent a chargeback, though.
No but my bank would probably assist.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 07:19 PM   #69
UneElle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I know buyers would be at the mercy of the seller to do the right thing, but only accepting money orders (or bank check) would be a way of never losing your money. If you can't cash it, then don't send the item.
Sorry, but Money Orders and/or Bank (Cashier's) Checks are easily, and often, counterfeited. And what makes it even worse is that while your bank can and will take either as a deposit to your checking or savings account, and will generally make $100 of the deposit available to you immediately and the remainder of the deposit available anywhere from 3 to 14 business days (depending upon a variety of factors such as your total financial relationship with the bank, the total amount of the document, etc.), it can sometimes take 2 to 3 additional WEEKS for the bank to confirm that the Money Order or Cashier's Check is stolen/forged/counterfeited. And if and when they do, the bank will charge your account for the entire amount PLUS whatever their normal charge is for "NSF" (bounced) checks. Money Order and Cashier's Checks from strangers is a VERY risky endeavor indeed. The ONLY way to assure that a Cashier's Check is legitimate is to take the check with the person who gives it to you to the bank it was drawn upon and cash it there (you'll generally be charged a nominal fee for cashing one of their checks if you don't have an account at their bank).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 08:58 PM   #70
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnisatard View Post
I've bought and sold about 10 iPhones on Craigslist the past 3 years and never had a bad experience. Like the comment above, if someone can't talk or type in proper english, I pretty much don't deal with them. Too risky.

I used to slip in that I was a police officer(not really) and some people would immediately stop contact after that. You would think the legitimate people would feel very comfortable dealing with a police officer. The ones that ran away I figured were up to no good.

Now I google people has well. I bought a 4S off of Craigslist on Saturday and put my 4 up the next day. One of the early people to contact me was a young girl who I googled and found her facebook page. She was a high school senior and an accomplished athlete so I chose her because I knew their would be no threat of a scam.

One other Craigslist tip. Don't ever agree to hold the phone for someone. People are too wishy washy and back out way too often. I always put in my ad, the first person to pay me gets the phone.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 09:29 PM   #71
temetrepo
macrumors member

^^lol. I have a black crown victoria. A few times when meeting with people that i'm going to sell something. I roll up next to them and they just hit the gas i guess They think im a cop and just go away. Lmao
Happened twice within a month.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:19 AM   #72
sk24iam
macrumors regular

This is why I'm looking for an alternative to ebay/paypal.
sk24iam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:35 AM   #73
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk24iam View Post
This is why I'm looking for an alternative to ebay/paypal.
If I'm going to sell my phone or computer, its going to be on Craigslist. I've lucked out with ebay from time to time, but you really cannot beat a cash only face to face transaction that craiglists offers. Plus you have no fees to worry about.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #74
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

I got scammed out of an $1800 MacBook Pro I sold on eBay a few years ago. I shipped to a confirmed address with delivery confirmation, signature, and insurance - even had emails with the buyer from their Paypal email address - and they still took the money under the "unauthorized credit card charge" scam. Paypal was unhelpful, rude, accusatory, and ultimately of little help. Luckily I had withdrawn the balance immediately, so I was just left with a hugely negative (ruined) Paypal account.

Basically, I'll never use eBay to sell anything ever again. Even amazon marketplace has scammers now, too. It's just not worth it. I use my sister's Paypal account now and again for buying knockoff iPhone 4 cases, but neither of us will ever sell again. Most transactions are fine, but eventually you get sick of the thieves that ruin it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:31 AM   #75
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this happened to me..sent to a work address only have proof of postage but it could mean I don't get my money.

Is there anything I can do?
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone