Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Hi,

I wanted to fix this hardware problem with my iMac G4 20". Basically the LCD screen has a redish tint in the corners, only really visible when displaying something bright/white. Also, when looking at the screen from an angle when displaying a black image, it looks completely red. What's the fault here? Is it the panel itself or the backlight?

see you,
2c

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Hi,

I wanted to fix this hardware problem with my iMac G4 20". Basically the LCD screen has a redish tint in the corners, only really visible when displaying something bright/white. Also, when looking at the screen from an angle when displaying a black image, it looks completely red. What's the fault here? Is it the panel itself or the backlight?

see you,
2c

It is likely the panel itself, and it is unlikely to be the backlight... But both are possible. If you get a new LCD panel, you will get a new backlight anyway. (please correct me if I am wrong) But it is likely the panel itself.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I guess you also can't rule out a possible graphics issue until the screen is replaced, but that could possibly be the problem.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
to rule out the graphics card is easy, the iMac has a mini vga out , just connect a monitor if the problem is not on that monitor present the graphic card is alright and its the panel thats defect

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
to rule out the graphics card is easy, the iMac has a mini vga out , just connect a monitor if the problem is not on that monitor present the graphic card is alright and its the panel thats defect

Oops I should have thought of that. :rolleyes: I unfortunately don't have an iMac g4 but I really want one.. :mad:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i want one too then i have the desktop all in one's complete from this century
iMac g3 ,iMac G5 , eMac ,only missing is the iMac G4 :(
but good news because of the iPod iPad and iPhone mania
and the need for intel Mac's to be able to watch 24/7 HD youtube videos they are tumbling down in price now
so i might even get a second TAM and maybe a lisa I and II and a Macintosh 128k for no money at all
in the last half year the prices here in uk dropped for all PPC Mac's by at least between £50 to £200 + compared to the prices in spring , not to mention the price drops for performa and Macintosh classic and co where sellers nearly offer you cash to take them ,

thank you apple for the iPad and iPhone 4 now i can buy all Mac's i ever wanted for no money at all because nobody else wants them any more now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.