Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Cheapest Amp, Receiver, or Powered Speakers Supporting Optical Audio Input From ATV?

I'm getting the new Apple TV and will be hooking it up to my 5.1 surround sound system using the HDMI port. But I want to use the optical port on the Apple TV to also send audio to a second set of speakers.

The problem is I can't find any cheap amp, receiver, or powered speakers that accepts an optical cable. I'm looking for something in the sub $100 range for amp or receiver only and a bit more if it includes speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

I have a 3 year old receiver from Yamaha that I would sell for around $75...but you probably aren't near Nashville
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

One of these will convert that digital output to analog, which would allow you to use it with any analog receiver or powered speakers (might need additional adapters to convert from RCA to mini plugs/jacks):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Lumpy05
macrumors member

You could do a digital to analog converter and then use any amp you want. Partsexpress.com sells a digital/analog convertor for ~ $60. You could also get a Dayton class D amp for ~ $40 from them. I use a similiar Sonic Impact amp to power a pair of outdoor JBL speakers and it works great.
Lumpy05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater