Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1
nzlucas
macrumors member

Airplay- is a wireless network needed?

With the airplay streaming will you need a wireless network setup or will the device be able to talk without one.

Reason I ask is I am moving into a new flat will not have Internet for a bit so might have to hold off buying an apple tv and iPad.

Cheers
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2
DJinTX
macrumors 6502

Other folks feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can use Airport on your Mac to set up an Ad-hoc network (without a router in the mix) that will allow a wireless connection between your Mac and ATV. Obviously this will be for streaming only and you won't be able to connect to the iTunes store.
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post
Other folks feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can use Airport on your Mac to set up an Ad-hoc network (without a router in the mix) that will allow a wireless connection between your Mac and ATV. Obviously this will be for streaming only and you won't be able to connect to the iTunes store.
how do u do that?
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
DJinTX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
how do u do that?
Not sure how on a PC, but on a Mac you can do this in the menu bar by clicking on the Airport status icon. One of the choices there allows you to create a network. At one time it was phrased "Create a computer to computer network" but now I think it reads differently. In any case, it should be pretty straightforward. Be aware if you do this, that you then will be on this ad-hoc network and not your primary network, so you won't be accessing the internet at this point. You would have to switch back when you want to get online.
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Matty-p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post
Not sure how on a PC.
on xp to set up a adhoc
1) , right click wireless adapter and then click properties.

2) Wireless Network Connection Properties will appear. Click Wireless Networks tab, here I tick Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings. After that click Advanced button.

Wireless Network Properties

3) Advanced window will appear. Select Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only option. Click Close at last.

Ad Hoc Mode

4) After that, click Add to add new ad hoc wireless network.

Add Ad Hoc Network

5) Name your ad hoc network, hTry to use open authentication without encryption first. After tested it works well, only proceed to enable WPA or WEP encryption. Click OK at last.

Add Ad Setting

6) Now you will see your created ad hoc network (PC card icon) in preferred networks list. Wooo.. Yoive done
Matty-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

if it's just temporary, you can connect your mac to the atv directly via ethernet. i do this often when i'm syncing a bunch of new content.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Matty-p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
if it's just temporary, you can connect your mac to the atv directly via ethernet. i do this often when i'm syncing a bunch of new content.
i belive he means ipad and atv for air play ipad will need wifi for airplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlucas View Post
an apple tv and iPad.
Matty-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:26 PM   #8
newagemac
macrumors 68000

If you have a wireless router, you don't need internet access for the local wireless network to work. The iPad and Apple TV will be able to talk to either other as usual. Airplay works over a local wireless network. Internet access is not needed.
newagemac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

good catch matty. sorry.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 04:42 PM   #10
nzlucas
macrumors member

Wireless network minus internet connection is a great idea, except i don't have a router yet : ( hmm thanks a couple of things to think over, ultimately apple has been positioned itself strongly to web usage so i may just have to get the internet then wait til i can afford the rest.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:34 PM   #11
rumz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlucas View Post
With the airplay streaming will you need a wireless network setup or will the device be able to talk without one.

Reason I ask is I am moving into a new flat will not have Internet for a bit so might have to hold off buying an apple tv and iPad.

Cheers
I have the same question-- though I'm guessing I'll have to wait till ios 4.2 to find out. I'm interested in using an appletv + ipad as a travel system (don't want to have to also set up a wifi hotspot every time I go somewhere.)

Basically I'm curious about streaming music to a car stereo wirelessly from my iPad. Maybe I need an airport express, instead... assuming I can use airplay to send audio to an airport express directly from the iPad.
rumz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater