Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Does anyone know how I can discern correct number. I am defaulted at 1500... I would like to optimize my broadband, could someone set me straight. I use Verizon dsl and am on the west side of LA.
TIA
xDx

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
donniedarko said:
Does anyone know how I can discern correct number. I am defaulted at 1500... I would like to optimize my broadband, could someone set me straight. I use Verizon dsl and am on the west side of LA.
TIA
xDx

The best MTU for Verizon is 1492.

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
yippy said:
What is MTU? And where to you change it?

The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface (without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). The MTU should be larger than the largest datagram you wish to transmit unfragmented. Note: this only prevents fragmentation locally. Some other link in the path may have a smaller MTU: the datagram will be fragmented at that point. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an ethernet interface, or 576 bytes for a SLIP interface.

You make the change in your router's settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.