Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyhte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I searched all over and did not find anything on this idea. Is there an app available or in progress that makes the live feed of the iPhone camera act as the wallpaper for the springboard? I think that would a really cool and unique tweak. What do you guys think?

lyhte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I thought that at first too but really, how much time do you actually spend on the springboard? Usually you just find the app you want and leave the springboard. It would be nice to try it out to see the impact on battery life.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought that at first too but really, how much time do you actually spend on the springboard? Usually you just find the app you want and leave the springboard. It would be nice to try it out to see the impact on battery life.

If a tree falls down in the forest and no ones around to hear it does it make any noise?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

I installed video wallpaper and it shaved hours off the battery life of my phone. I can't imagine how bad it would be with the drain of network access and everything else.

Orion126

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
In my book this is filed under:

Sounds cool but impractical. Why would you want to anyway if apps will be blocking out most of the image (unless you have those blank apps) but might as well fire up an app to use the streaming video.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I installed video wallpaper and it shaved hours off the battery life of my phone. I can't imagine how bad it would be with the drain of network access and everything else.

It is an interesting idea but this is true^. Video wallpaper was killing my battery life and it was making SB lag too much. This could be even more problematic.

lyhte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008

Nonetheless, as vWallpaper was an option for those that wanted it, it would be nice to have this as an option too.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Also by your statement, since you wouldn't spend that much time looking at the wallpaper, why would you want it in the first place if you wouldn't have much time to look at it? I'm too much of a battery lover for that.

lyhte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Think about it. What if there were a way it could be done so that not only is it a live camera feed but it could also take pictures right off of the springboard. No need to open the camera app? Hmmm...could be useful. All you'd have to do is use a theme that makes the apps transparent and it could work. Just thinking aloud

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
This is the stupid kind of crap that gives jailbreaking a bad name.

This is the close minded crap that leads to apple controlling everything. Do you have any idea how many apps on Cydia I would consider "stupid"? Jailbreaking doesn't have a bad name. The point is that you're free to think outside of the box, and do whatever you want with your phone, regardless of other people's opinion.

I thought it was an interesting idea, and could give the appearance of a see-through phone if implemented right.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
It is an interesting idea but this is true^. Video wallpaper was killing my battery life and it was making SB lag too much. This could be even more problematic.

vwallpaper hasn't really affected my battery or caused any lagging.... are yall using an iphone 4?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
vwallpaper doesn't seem to affect my battery (at least, am not seeing any real difference with it on or off).

i just wind up leaving it off; it gets boring after a while to be amused by moving wallpaper... :rolleyes:

love the live feed idea (but would turn that off after a while too...)

lyhte

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I have zero skills in creating apps. Who would I contact to present this idea?

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
You could try by contacting the author of vwallpaper. I think this is a nice idea and don't see why anyone should shoot you down for it. Like others have said, this is what jailbreaking is for.

The way I see it, if vwallpaper can take a video and play it, then maybe it is running an app below the icons? If so, could you not run a camera capture app behind the icons. I don't really know how vwallpaper works but it's one avenue to investigate.

I hope you keep this updated if you do find any more information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.