Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I have an iPhone 3GS right now and originally thought I would pass on the iPhone 4. However, my mobile operator has just offered mt the iPhone 4 at a very tempting price.

Before I get it, just wanted to know, have the antenna and sensor issues been sorted?

NickkyJ

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I have an iPhone 3GS right now and originally thought I would pass on the iPhone 4. However, my mobile operator has just offered mt the iPhone 4 at a very tempting price.

Before I get it, just wanted to know, have the antenna and sensor issues been sorted?

honestly i have an iphone 4 and it is pretty damn good. Minor glitches here and there switchin from a game to the homescreen but other than that its pretty damn good. Some people have problems with the sensor and bluetooth but mines perfectly fine

Lingham

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010

I have had it about 2 months now and not noticed ONE issue - not even THE issue

The odd app crashes but thats not the phones fault.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I won't deny some people have had issues
To what extent the problem really was/is, I don't know
Media hype, feeding frenzy, mob mentality, who knows

I have had the iPhone 4 since launch and love it
And I experience no issues with it

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009

If the problems were anywhere near what the media was trying to make them out to be, the iPhone 4 would have been a massive failure.

People started complaining about a problem that isn't a problem at all for most. Once everyone knew where to touch the phone to drop signal, they all started crying about it. It's a lot like when a little kid scrapes his knee and is fine until you show them the blood.

I can honestly say there isn't a better phone on the market IMO and you shouldn't have any reservations about getting one.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
the proximity sensor bothered me sometimes, but after the 4.1 update it works flawless. signal is good, sound is pretty good (but certainly not worse then a 3GS, I was using a Vertu before, that one has much better sound).
The screen is again and again making me gasp, it's so nice and other than that it's a bit faster than a 3GS but much the same.
Just don't drop it, you will shatter the glass (front, back or both) with a little bit of bad luck.

plusonechoi

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
San Francisco
mine has been great as well, virtually no problems. all these apparent problems with it have been overblown IMO. not saying they do not exist, just overly exaggerated for sure

durawraps

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
almost every phone in the market now has problems. If you ask me, the iphone has the least problems from the lot. ;)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
A friend of mine is ready to throw away his iPhone 4 because of the proximity sensor glitch. Apparently his phone has the problem on most of his calls, and he's beyond sick and tired of it.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I have had the proximity sensor issue once with my iPhone 4 and once with my 3G. Both times it was because I didn't want to put the phone against my face because I didn't wnat to smudge the phone.

I am aware of the antenna issue and in the past was careful where I placed my fingers and palm on the phone. Since getting my free case I get moer bars and no longer worry about the antenna. I would recommend getting a bumper. The antenna problem is dependent on your conductivity.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I upgraded from a 6 month old 3Gs (warranty replacement on my account) to iPhone 4 just 3 weeks ago.

Purposely held off on purchasing the iPhone 4 until I was within the 30 day return period of Sept 30th 'Steve's deadline' on issue to see if any change was coming. Was just a precaution, and have held onto my 3Gs 'just in case' I did see either of the issues.

I've got 4.0.1 jailbroken on both.

Not experienced the proximity sensor issue. Can replicate the antenna issue. However, in 2-3 hours of phone calls daily, I've not seen the hype on either of these issues. I don't do anything special. Yes, I have a case on it, just like I had a case on my 3Gs (for drop protection).

Now setting up to sell my 3Gs, everything going quite well with the iPhone 4 in my experience.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I have to admit that the proximity sensor issue seems to have been resolved for me with the phone calls I've made recently. (about time)

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I think the antenna issue may have been overblown... Sure, I have a phone that can replicate it if I really try- but who cares? I don't drop any calls because of it.. The reception for me has been the same as every other phone I've had with AT&T.. The few problem areas I go into on a regular basis are still problems, and the rest of the areas I travel to are fine.. No difference in that aspect..

The proximity sensor on the other hand is a MAJOR issue for me.. I'm on my 3rd phone because of it and with this latest one the 4.1 update did NOTHING to improve it... Could just be a bad phone.. I'll try one more time with a new phone and the 4.1 update but after that I'm throwing in the towel... I hate to do it but the PS issue is that much of a pain for me..

thuff59

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Since updating to iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4 it has performed way better. I would recommend purchasing the iPhone 4 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.