Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Currently there are a number of issues with Aperture 3.0.3 so this list is indeed in hope! It's time Aperture 4 (or at least 3.1, 3.5 or whatever) was conjured up...

1) Layers - Everyone wants them to work like photoshop. This would completely speed up my workflow, and mean that I don't need to roundtrip all of my minor retouching.

2) A better black and white conversion module - something like Nik plugins

3) Progress bars! Having a spinning cog for importing, processing, exporting, and so on means nothing to me. I want to know what's going on

4) Library stability. This is a biggie. Lots of users having similar problems with managed libraries and disappearing masters. The amount of times I've had to rebuild my library....

5) Column view Drop down window for Library

6) More 'grown up' UI. What we have currently is Ok, but could be improved in a way that puts the content up front. More simplified icons/buttons, or at least a choice of one or the other. I can adjust the browser and preview
lightness, why can't I control the Inspector too? And lose the rounded off feel.
I assume apple wants a unified look throughout it's applications, but this is essentially holding Aperture back while other Pro Raw conversion software change the way they look and feel, innovate, and adapt to a maturing market. This can backfire a little as Phase One found out when Capture One made the jump from v3 to v4, but once the dust settled on that and Phase One dug their heals in, the UI changes proved to be a valuable step in the right direction, actually aiding workflow efficiency. (I don't need to get into an argument about Capture One here. It's just an example!)
Although user Interface changes may seem trivial, when you spend the most part of your professional life in one Application the small changes make a huge difference.

7) User approval on Mobile Me Galleries. - I want my clients to be able to look through 500 images and choose 90! I want Aperture to catch it in Smart Albums within the project

8) I want to be able to automate projects to appear as templates that I build.

9) Double the Adjustments Hud in Full screen view or independent Huds locked down - Scrolling can get a little dull

10) Trash? Where are my trashed images - This is a common problem that some users experience. It's a bug.

11) The Loupe doesn't have to be circular, you know.

12) Chromatic aberration, distortion adjustments.

13) Sort out the highlight and shadow/Dynamic Range tool. Capture One Pro handles highlight recovery much more naturally. I don't use lightroom, so can't comment on that.

So there you go. I use aperture every day, and push it pretty hard. I understand that some of these features won't be implemented. I'd pay more for layers, though. But it's the small UI and library tweaks that will also make a difference. There's no telling how many people have suffered from massive library problems, this is something that has to be looked at. The last update was said to address the common problems, but in some cases seemed to make the library more unstable. There are numerous forum posts about this subject on MR as well as other sites.

My Two big ones here are #7) and #4) but all of the above would do nicely.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) Not such a long time-gap as between Aperture 2 and Aperture 3!

From your list 3): you can get this by bringing up the progress window...

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
From your list 3): you can get this by bringing up the progress window...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the activity window? If so, that's great, but it doesn't really give much of an indication of how long things are taking. Sure, it says 1 of 10, or whatever, but I was hoping for something a little more visual.
What I'd like to see is perhaps a coloured line (Think Photoshop installation progress bar) integrated above the Inspector Pane whenever there are background processes going on.
The User could decide whether or not to show this in preferences.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Do you mean the activity window? If so, that's great, but it doesn't really give much of an indication of how long things are taking.

Erm, yes. Sorry not on a Mac right now so got the wrong name for the window. Yeah, it's slightly annoying it doesn't even try and estimate the time.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Haha, where to start....

1. I agree, it needs a progress bar, not the spinning toy wheel. It is useless and has lead me (presumably) to restart aperture 3 numerous times because I have no way of knowing if it is freezing or simply thinking slowly.

2. UI!!! Aperture still looks off. I am not sure what, exactly, it is, but I know that I don't like looking at it.

3. Accidental double clicking by the adjustment sliders!!! If I miss the dragger thingy and try to click on it again, it closes the adjustment box forcing me to drop it down again!!! I CANT STAND THIS.

4. SPEED. This is the biggest issue. It honestly takes hours sometimes to export 200-300 images at full resolution JPEGS. Aperture 2 did not behave this way. It also takes Aperture 3 ages to do BASIC commands, such as Undo, copy/Paste adjustments, etc. Every time I use Aperture it makes me miss Photoshop.

5. Drag/Drop Export- To combat the terribly slow export times, I often just drag and drop from aperture to the finder, exporting previews at lightning quick speed. However, the preview export options don't seem to work. I tried to set it to export the previews at the largest possible size, and it did not change the size at all. It would also be nice to add watermark options for the preview exports.

6. BRUSH IN/AWAY EXPOSURE. WTF? WHY CANT WE DO THIS? WHY DO ALL THE OTHER ADJUSTMENTS HAVE BRUSHES BUT EXPOSURE< ARGUABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE, DOES NOT?!?!?! No excuses for this. Dodge/Burn simply do not cut it.

7. Provide Aperture 3 customers with a gift certificate for free Lightroom 3.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Brush in Exposure... yeah, that would be the biggest thing I'd like. Dodge and Burn looks like garbage.

It is the worst implementation of dodge/burn I have seen. I would take the dodge/burn from PS6 any day over this.

Why did they choose not to include brush in exposure? It is mind boggling.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
It'd nice to be able to adjust the Time Zone even after the pictures are imported. Right now you can adjust the time zone only before the pictures are imported, or adjust the time of each picture individually after it's imported and not a group of pictures. Also, the current time zone adjustment doesn't change the date of the master file, that should be an option.

Also, I'd like to export photo books in ePub format in addition to PDF so I can use the page flip and other features within iBook.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Also, I'd like to export photo books in ePub format in addition to PDF so I can use the page flip and other features within iBook.

Do you mean the option to publish books in a format that clients can preview? That would go on the list.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Gradient brushes.

Better multi-threaded and/or GPU support to get the most performance out of any given hardware.

The UI is fine... in fact, it's dead sexy in full screen mode

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I think the dodge/burn brushes are fine....the "layering" with brushes I think is sufficient, I'd just like to be able to name them, rather than having five of the same adjustment blocks.

being able to edit within the loupe

being able to zoom at something other than fit-to-screen or 100%...more than 100% in particular, for those of us without 50MP cameras.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I'm afraid I'll be old and gray by the time we see Aperture 4.

I'm not really into starting a thread to try and guess release dates, I'm more interested in learning from the hands on experience of other photographers to try to constructively build on what is already a decent piece of software. Real world feedback potentially helps with future updates and features and helps us realise a more efficient and productive workflow.
You may well be upset about what you think is Apple's apparent lack of acknowledgement of the development of their 'Pro' applications, and that's understandable. Apple don't seem to want to keep their pro user base informed with what's coming, but it's probably a bit unreasonable to expect major updates to come any sooner than they actually do. Competitors have about the same timeline in this respect.
These Aperture threads usually turn into "Apple haven't returned my calls, and they won't mend my problems. I'll show them - I'm going to buy Lightroom!"
Although being a pro user is like being in a relationship with the Software and the company that provides it, it is not an adolescent one. Apple hasn't only now decided to see other people, it was always the arrangement. I wouldn't take it so personally.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
3) Progress bars! Having a spinning cog for importing, processing, exporting, and so on means nothing to me. I want to know what's going on

Well, if you click on the spinning cog, the progress window pops up telling you, how many jobs/batches is in queue, how many images the CPU is processing, and what photo out of however many Aperture is working on.

I too would LOVE layers, who doesn't? :)

Also, it would be amazing if there was live view mode in tethered shooting, with the ability to adjust all camera settings like Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I would love to see a couple of things.

First, more options for using a second display. I'd like to be able to see the browser on the second display and the full image on the main display (currently only the reverse is possible). Also I'd love to be able to zoom in on the image on one display while having the image zoomed out on the other, this would be great for seeing how small changes affect the whole image.

Secondly I'd love to see a library browser. The big thing that has kept me from using multiple libraries is it's inconvenient to have to switch from one library to another (say personal to work) while trying to hunt down an image. a library browser would allow you to read all of your libraries in one spot (as well as export) and then once you found the image easily switch to that library to make edits to the image. Because of the view only nature it might be quite a bit faster on its feet than browsing images in a large Aperture library is now.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
1) Better integration with iPhoto by having both programs use the SAME library. Yes two programs ONE set of files

2) They need to make up their mind and decide of this is a non-destructive editor or not.

With so many cameras now doing video they are going to have to come up with some way to handle them. At a minimum durring the download process save them some place. I don't want to have to download twicesm nce to aperture and then again to get the few video clips

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
From your list 3): you can get this by bringing up the progress window...

Do you mean the activity window? If so, that's great, but it doesn't really give much of an indication of how long things are taking. Sure, it says 1 of 10, or whatever, but I was hoping for something a little more visual.
What I'd like to see is perhaps a coloured line (Think Photoshop installation progress bar) integrated above the Inspector Pane whenever there are background processes going on.
The User could decide whether or not to show this in preferences.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind I have aperture 2 were it only lists the status...

aperture 3 lists status,time and amount so yes it does work and exist

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 6.19.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 6.19.32 PM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 226

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
1) Edit should be tied to a photo version; when you click off it the un-do/re-do still appears active in edit menu – until the program is ended it keeps global history, not picture history basis. Very dangerous, you can change pictures w/o them being visible.
This seems no brainier to me, am I the only one who wants this??

2) Faces seems to re-build every time opened….driving me crazy. Worked fine in iPhoto. Takes 45-seconds to open. I'll take a video clip.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
speed. it runs slow on both my imac and my mbp

yeah, Apple needs to clean up the RAM/VRAM usage, particularly when using brushes, and introduce OpenCL support. it's frankly stupid of Apple to introduce OpenCL as a big feature of SL, yet not include it in one of their own applications.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
In addition to previous suggestions:
  • Better RAW processors (match or exceed Adobe's at high ISO).
  • Caching. It doesn't have to take few seconds to load images every single time.
  • Lens profiles.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
4) Library stability. This is a biggie. Lots of users having similar problems with managed libraries and disappearing masters. The amount of times I've had to rebuild my library....

For Aperture 4, fix the bugs, and improve the speed. Then, release it without any new features. Save any and all new features for Aperture 5.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Oooh, lots of ideas here. I hope Apple reads Macrumors.

For me, in no particular order, and reiterating ideas already posted. The more shoutouts for something the more Apple should listen, eh?

Speed, speed, speed.
More display options when using 2 monitors.
Layers.
Much improved brushes/dodge/burn (NB. does anyone know a shortcut key to change the brush size?) I find the clone tool rather rubbish (PS still rules in this respect).
More options (full camera control) in tethered mode - live view would be amazing.
Square loupe - great suggestion whoever wrote that (edit: nice idea OP).
More intuitive time zone adjustment - that would be amazing. I travel a lot and do forget to change the time zone on my cameras!
Brush in exposure/saturate/highlight recover etc - that would be very cool.
Stability - can never have enough of that.
When importing, an option to make the last folder/project I selected (because I just created it) the default location for the files I'm about to import.
Selection tools?
UI - I mostly like the overall feel. My main gripe is when in full view mode and I move the cursor to the top icons to select one of them and I can't just slam the cursor to the screen's edge - I have to move it back in a few pixels. I have the menu set to disappear if the cursor isn't over it and the number of times I move the cursor back too far and the menu disappears, and then I repeat the process etc etc etc. I have the same complaint about Photoshop and their tool bar. Loose the 5 pixel wide border to the tool bar and make the icons a bit bigger and allow me to slam the cursor right to the edge when trying to choose one - it's quicker and easier.
Multiple undo to changes - sometimes I tweak too far and it would be great to quickly get back to an earlier state without having to reset the sliders.

And I really wish Nik would hurry up and make all their plugins 64 bit. I hate restarting to switch back to 32 bit mode. I also hope they have a good upgrade price/policy for owners of the whole Aperture suite.

Also with plugins, it would be great if Aperture gave you the option to apply the plugin to an already adjusted image or if you want to create a new version eg I often combine states of Nik Colour Efex Pro with Silver Efex Pro. Often I would like to keep an edited 'plugin' version as is, before creating a(nother) new version with another plugin applied on top. Currently I duplicate the version, and then really annoyingly Aperture creates another version of that when I enter the plugin, so I'm left with a master and 3 versions (of which two of the versions are the same).

I love Aperture and this is a wishlist, so fingers crossed for v4!!! However, I also like the fact I can quickly edit photos in Aperture - I like/live by the sleakness of it's use. I know Photoshop can do a lot more and I'll keep going back to it for really heavy retouching, so I don't want/need Aperture to do everything it can do.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Aperture 3

Man, I just love ragging on A3 :p

rant

Had a meeting today and foolishly did not allot enough time to transfer new material to show client onto my iPad. Ended in a near disaster thanks to aperture 3 (partly,) which leads me to another improvement for aperture 4.

-FIX THE EXPORTING!!!

I needed to export ipad size photos to upload to ipad and made an aperture preset at the correct dimensions. Exporting 266 photos through the preset would have taken probably 2-3 hours at the rate it was going. I ended up having to do the drag and drop export method (which was not responding to the new preview dimensions and file size I was choosing in the preferences menu) which resulted in me uploading huge 3MB photos to the Photographer Portfolio App I use, which in turn crashed it (not the apps fault, it is great and I highly recommend it, it warned that the large file sizes might crash the app), which in turn forced me to use the craptastic "Photo" app and loose my file structure and need to lump them all into one folder alongside my other galleries.

Apple: You seriously need to work on your exporting options. There is no reason it should take your "pro" application HOURS to export a measly 250-some photos AFAIK other than buggy software.

Fix the speed issues and I would be a pretty happy camper!
/rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.