Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134029-jd_power_2010_iphone_table_500.jpg

Influential customer satisfaction research firm J.D. Power today announced that Apple's iPhone has topped the list of smartphones for the fourth straight year in its new 2010 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study - Volume 2.
For a fourth consecutive time, Apple ranks highest in customer satisfaction among manufacturers of smartphones with a score of 800 on a 1,000-point scale, and performs particularly well in ease of operation, operating system, features and physical design. Motorola (791) and HTC (781) follow Apple in the rankings.
Among other interesting items of note gathered in the survey, conducted from January through June of this year, are revelations that customers are tending to keep their handsets longer between upgrades while monthly service fees continue to rise as more customers add data packages to their plans. Citing economic conditions for at least part of the reason why customers have been holding back on upgrading their handsets, the study now finds that customers hang onto their handsets for an average of 20.5 months.

134029-jd_power_2010_iphone_chart_500.jpg

Article Link: iPhone Tops J.D. Power Smartphone Rankings Once Again

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
A 2 on battery function?

Are they just pissed it's not removable?

Or are they comparing the charge-life ratio to all of the simplistic basic phones out there, which obviously, would outlast the iPhone.

:rolleyes: People keep trying to rate it as just a phone. That's not possible. It's a small computer...

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Consumer Reports top rated (even if not recommended)

JD Powers top rated

Boy, sure are a lot of people being fooled since we all know that Android phones are demonstrably better since that is what we are endlessly told here in the forums . . .

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK

Or are they comparing the charge-life ratio to all of the simplistic basic phones out there, which obviously, would outlast the iPhone.

:rolleyes: People keep trying to rate it as just a phone. That's not possible. It's a small computer...

Well, the survey was January to June, so that will only be iPhone 3G(S) users. To be fair, the battery life on those wasn't amazing (but good enough most days).

It'll be interesting to see if that improves next time -- my iPhone 4 has MUCH better battery life than my 3GS did.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well, the survey was January to June, so that will only be iPhone 3G(S) users.

Thanks for pointing this out. Most people are just reading headlines and running with it. JDP should have been more forthcoming with this information, as it is misleading (in both a pro-Apple and anti-Apple manner. Battery rating will go up and ease of use will go down).

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Well, the integrated battery does throw a curve ball for people who are used to removable batteries. That said, I don't miss the removable battery and I know the trade-offs of having it integrated. Bigger battery, more juice albeit at the cost of user serviceability.

For me a 3 should have been fine. Why 3? Well, because Apple can well research battery tech much more and give us a more juicy battery than what we have. It's 2010 for crying out loud and the iPhone 4 still has the same A/h as the first iPhone.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
This is an opinion survey of mobile phone users. So what it shows is that those who have an iPhone are the happiest with their phones. Given that we read or post to this forum, we all probably have our own opinions.

If you are on the fence about which mobile phone to get next and you think you could go with Android or iPhone, then this survey tells you that folks are generally more satisfied with the iPhone. That may help sway your choice towards iPhone.

This survey will do nothing to sway a die-hard fan of non-Apple phones. And frankly, that's fine. If you looked into different devices and you know which one best suits you, then go with it, and stick with it. It doesn't really matter what everybody else thinks about your phone, does it? Same goes for iPhone fans.... If this survey said most folks hate the iPhone, but I knew I loved it, then it really doesn't matter to me what others think.

The best thing about this survey is that it tells Apple, Google, HTC and others if their mobile phone strategies are yielding customer satisfaction and hence customer loyalty. If the Verizon iPhone ever does materialize, customer loyalty is going to matter a whole lot to Google -- right now they have nice exclusive market to sell Android phones in. At the moment, iPhone-loyalty is keeping AT&T revenue up.

Anyway, that's my two cents (or maybe five cents) worth.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
For me a 3 should have been fine. Why 3? Well, because Apple can well research battery tech much more and give us a more juicy battery than what we have. It's 2010 for crying out loud and the iPhone 4 still has the same A/h as the first iPhone.

The Battery of my 3G still works fine ( after 2 years of everyday use ) most phones I had in the past , needed a battery replacement after latest 18 months ( taking into consideration that the phone was still in one piece )

Saludos

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
If that's the case then "Physical Design" is gonna go down a lot ;)

If you're talking about how it looks(not antennagate)I think it looks fantastic.And it sure is selling.What the heck did you people want?the same design forever??

Aside from that,I buy a phone to use,not yo gaze at or show off.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
battery life only sucks because of apps like angry birds! those dang piggies... I need those 754 hours back.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I'm so sick of J.D. Powers getting so much pull. Especially the auto industry, their figures are always skewed with bad data.

Not really something you can rely on. I'd much rather their system just go away.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Well, it will certainly be interesting to see what the customer satisfaction level is with the iPhone 4 when that data is published in 6 months (love mine, no dropped calls, antenna definitely better than my iPhone 3G's). For the time being, this is just old news...

wlh99

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
There is a 2.4% difference between 800 and 781. That means that between the top 3, people are about equally happy with thier choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.