Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
From CNET News:
Apple Computer filed suit this week against three developers it says posted a prerelease version of Mac OS X onto the Internet.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in federal court in San Jose, Calif., alleges that the three men posted a developer release of Mac OS X Tiger onto sites used by the BitTorrent file-trading network. Apple is seeking an injunction to prevent further releases of its software as well as unspecified monetary damages.

In the suit, Apple said the tracker on one of the BitTorrent sites indicated that more than 2,500 copies of one Tiger version were downloaded. The postings began in late October and continued through this month, the Mac maker said.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Wow, Apple's a bit sue happy this week. Good for them, standing up against the overly eager bunch.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
CaptainScarlet said:
Didn't RTFA, but anybody know which site??

It's major crack-down time for Torrent sites.....

It was on Mac TKA almost instantly.... I'm sure other sites had it as well.

As for major crack-down time, yeah, whatever. The sites themselves, you may notice, can't really be prosecuted... only the guys that "seeded" Tiger. I got a copy myself and threw it on my G4 400 laptop. No big deal... and going after these three guys is a drop in the bucket.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Good for Apple for taking a stand. Apple software is actually worth paying money for (unlike a lot of other software out there) so I think this is a good thing. I don't care if they shut the torrent sites down, I never use them anyways.. ;) :cool:

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Good for Apple for taking a stand. Apple software is actually worth paying money for (unlike a lot of other software out there) so I think this is a good thing. I don't care if they shut the torrent sites down, I never use them anyways.. ;) :cool:

What, exactly, is wrong with downloading a pre-release, buggy Tiger that's not for sale, if I intend to buy the real Tiger when it comes out anyway?

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
tveric said:
What, exactly, is wrong with downloading a pre-release, buggy Tiger that's not for sale, if I intend to buy the real Tiger when it comes out anyway?
Well, it's illegal and goes against the EULA.

trip

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
oh whoopdy... sueing over a non documented os that is buggy and slower than panther.... woo... Big trade secrets ..... It is not like it is hardware, it is just an os that othjers will copy no matter what. But for the most part no one is going to copy core image ,,, more than likely spotlight will get cloned onto pc but really what else is there ?

Jusrt release it as public beta, that way EVeRYone can send in bugs, as it seems there bug testers dont find them all anyway as is the case of 10.3.6
Sue happy this week yes..

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
damn, i may take my copy offline is apple is going to do stuff like this, i sit behind a proxy but i don't want to take any chances

edit: i wont post again as i dont want to get into a flame war as i have very strong views on this so please dont quote me with angry posts about morality.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
nosen said:
Well, it's illegal and goes against the EULA.

Yeah, and you never go over the posted speed limit, either.

Maybe I should be more specific - what's the harm to Apple if a few mac fans that are going to buy Tiger ANYWAY download a pre-release version?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
tveric said:

Maybe I should be more specific - what's the harm to Apple if a few mac fans that are going to buy Tiger ANYWAY download a pre-release version?
Both things are ILLEGAL. Get over it. downloading software is illigal. If you have a problem with that you should complain at apple.

:)

KrysBaz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2004
Wokingham UK
Merry Christmas from apple?

Well I'm glad they are prosecuting,
The whole point of developer relaese's I thought was to get as many bugs out of the system before the gold release.

The people they are seeded to are supposed to be trustworthy and draw out the bugs etc so when the full version comes out it's reasonably stable, so that people who know so much about programming (would fit on the back of a post-it) don't need to worry to much, and can feel somewhat reassure that someone has not been working on ways to disrupt my machine because of a virus/trojan etc, because they got bored one saturday and thought take a swipe at OSX, because they found a tiger seed on some P2P thing.
(Fully aware that it won't run on anything but an apple hardware, but anyone wishing to be malicious will not nescaerilly only hce a PC, if you think they would only use a PC, then you rreally are being a little niave :rolleyes: )

If they are disgruntled that the work they are doing is not being recognised by apple, or feel software should be free for all, then perhaps they should concentrate on Linux instead. Not put developer seeds on P2P networks.

Not only does it look , and will probably cost them dear, it may put apple off giving out further seeds to others who may be able to inovate.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
tveric said:

by releasing the preview in the wild it lets out trade secrets that apple needs to keep under wraps, but also needs to have developers tinker with to fix. If you're in competition with someone, and know you could get a sneak peek at their latest thingamabob before it went public, you'd probably want to get your hands on that. It's called industrial espionage. And it's a bad thing™.

It's not just crazy mac enthusiasts downloading this stuff.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
tveric said:

Well, its not just that. I think they know what they did is wrong. I read thier forums and they sound remorsful. Its one thing to punish them, but these guys are just college kids. How can you expect these kids to pay for lawyers fees, damages etc?

They should have stopped at banning the ADC membership.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
tveric said:

Whether you intend to buy the final or not, you have still stolen the pre-release. A developer membership costs $500, so you have stolen $500.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Heart Break Kid said:
Well, its not just that. I think they know what they did is wrong. I read thier forums and they sound remorsful. Its one thing to punish them, but these guys are just college kids. How can you expect these kids to pay for lawyers fees, damages etc?

so they should only prosecute folks who have the bankroll to formally defend themselves in court against a major corporate entity?

no - this is illegal activity, plain and simple, and Apple is following through with the 'promise' it made in the NDA that the developers signed.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
coumerelli said:
As much as I agree with this, I hate to see Apple give us teasers and even hearing that 'another developer release was seeded today'.

How is another "alpha/beta release" teasing users? All this tells you is they're still working on it. You know Tiger is coming for 2005, just hang in there.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Heart Break Kid said:

maybe , but who is at fault here ? them for putting it P2P or the people downloading it ? just ban them and let that be it no need to sue , i am sure if the likes of Microsoft wanted a copy of it they would of had one the day it was released and it would of come direct from apple ! it's not as if microsoft does not develope apps for apple anyway?

mind you i can see apple's point of view if they wanted to stop distros going out to the wrong people , for Virus and other bad stuff but no need to sue them !

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
tveric said:

The harm could come from software competitors who could preview Tiger-only features before the actual release, giving them more time to integrate them, perhaps before even the actual release of Tiger (and than claiming they invented/innovated it themselves).

Sounds familiar?

Edit: what Mudbug said.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Yvan256 said:
The harm could come from software competitors who could preview Tiger-only features before the actual release, giving them more time to integrate them, perhaps before even the actual release of Tiger (and than claiming they invented/innovated it themselves).

Sounds familiar?

i would say apple has this coverd already

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Mudbug said:
by releasing the preview in the wild it lets out trade secrets that apple needs to keep under wraps, but also needs to have developers tinker with to fix. If you're in competition with someone, and know you could get a sneak peek at their latest thingamabob before it went public, you'd probably want to get your hands on that. It's called industrial espionage. And it's a bad thing™.

And those same evil people that you've so worried about could never get a copy of Tiger by just buying a developer membership, right?

Think about the logic of your argument next time BEFORE you post it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.