Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I registered my sister her own domain name for one of her Xmas gifts this year. She's 16 and and lives in another state with our Mom (our Dad and I live in the same state, along with a lot of our family) and I wanted her to be able to kind of keep everyone informed about things where she is, share photo's etc, as well as learn more about computers and the internet. She's a compotent computer user, and learns very fast, but she's never done any web or otherwise development.

I need something that is preferably opensource (I have been teaching her about the opensource community little by little, and she's using OpenOffice, Abiword, and the GIMP at this point), but just freeware would be acceptable as well, that is a 'complete site manager' type app. I would like her to be able to do WYSIWYG editing of pages, link photo's and whatnot into it, visually be able to see a site map and make linking and directory changes and things liek that, and have some room to grow (should support manually editing the page easily, have CSS support as an option). Also, it should sync the site to what she has in a local directory via ftp.

We got her a 14" 933mhz iBook for her last birthday (great machine, and the first Mac in the family... we're all switching!). It has 640mb ram and a 60gb harddrive, and 10.3.7, so it should run most things pretty well. I would appreciate any recommendations you guys might have.

Thanks,
Rob

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hmm... Can't say I've got anything that does exactly what you're asking, but you might want to check out Taco HTML Edit. It's all manual, but it has a split-screen feature that updates in realtime, so you can see what changes you're making. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, good luck! :D

Linkety

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
Littleodie914 said:
Hmm... Can't say I've got anything that does exactly what you're asking, but you might want to check out Taco HTML Edit. It's all manual, but it has a split-screen feature that updates in realtime, so you can see what changes you're making. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, good luck! :D

Linkety

I like Taco as well, but something UI-oriented turned me off about it when I tried it out. But hey, "free" is a plus, right?

If "very cheap" is an option, try Tag, HyperEdit or skEdit (all $20). I personally use skEdit because it's got really great features, speed and robust language support.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Thanks everyone... I downloaded nVu a little bit ago and we played with it. It looks like it will be good for her, to start at least. I liked it's layout, and the features that were available from the main menus and toolbars. I also liked that it had built in CSS creation and integration so she can make some really nice looking pages without too much work.

I wasn't to keen on the way it managed all the files for a given site. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it looks like you have to 'publish' each page separately. Still, all in all pretty good!

I'll look into some of the more professional choices if and when she outgrows this one... Ideally, tho, I'd like to get her to code it by hand :D. Thanks again, all,

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.