Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baghly2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS and am not ready to renew my contract yet but wanted the IPhone 4. So, I bought a brand new 4 from a seller on Ebay and am wondering on the proper way to register it and get it up and running.

Can I take the sim out of my 3GS and put it into the new iphone4 (after cutting it) and I still get all the benefit from my contract or not?

If not, what is the best way to get the Iphone 4?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

AppleCode

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
As danielroman said, its better to get a sim from your carrier to properly set it up. You jus wont be able to swap then unless you buy an adapter

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
I want to sell my Iphone 3GS, cann't I just use my sim for Iphone 4?

Thanks

You can if you cut the SIM down to the right size with no errors. A better approach would be to take your iPhone 4 to an AT&T store and ask them to set you up with a new SIM for your iP4 using your current account. This will deactivate your iP3 SIM. Don't worry, you're not breaking any rules.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I bought an iPhone 4, and had a 3G S. You just go to the carrier and ask to get a new sim.

Why do you ask?

Because the iPhone 4 uses a "micro" sim.

Ellie420

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
I want to swap my 3GS with my step moms brand new IPhone 4 (that is connected) and my parents told me i have to wait two weeks to do a phone swap. Do I really have to wait two weeks or can I just go today with them to AT&T to swap?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I want to swap my 3GS with my step moms brand new IPhone 4 (that is connected) and my parents told me i have to wait two weeks to do a phone swap. Do I really have to wait two weeks or can I just go today with them to AT&T to swap?

You can go immediately. Just need to cut down your current sim or purchase a new micro sim from AT&T.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS and am not ready to renew my contract yet but wanted the IPhone 4. So, I bought a brand new 4 from a seller on Ebay and am wondering on the proper way to register it and get it up and running.

Can I take the sim out of my 3GS and put it into the new iphone4 (after cutting it) and I still get all the benefit from my contract or not?

If not, what is the best way to get the Iphone 4?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

What country do you live in and what carrier are you using?

If you are in the U.S., using AT&T and you currently have a data plan on your 3GS, then the best thing to do is to go to a corporate store and ask for a new micro SIM. They will not charge for this.

If you go to an authorized reseller, they will most likely charge you for the micro SIM as they are franchisees.

If you don't currently have a data plan on your Smartphone on AT&T, then it is best to cut it down yourself as AT&T will make you get a data plan if they discover you are using a Smartphone on their network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.