Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I am by no means a professional photographer, but I do love to take photos. I have about 9,000+ photos in iPhoto now, but Im looking for something a little more advanced. I will retouch my photos from time to time, but more so, I want to organize my photos better. I notice a lot of people use Aperture and Lightroom, and I was wondering if someone had opinions of the two, and which would be the better way to go. Thanks for the help.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I am by no means a professional photographer, but I do love to take photos. I have about 9,000+ photos in iPhoto now, but Im looking for something a little more advanced. I will retouch my photos from time to time, but more so, I want to organize my photos better. I notice a lot of people use Aperture and Lightroom, and I was wondering if someone had opinions of the two, and which would be the better way to go. Thanks for the help.

Feature wise, they are about the same. LIghtroom has probably more 3rd party add-in or presets available since it is available on both platforms Mac and PC. Lightroom is faster to use (less ressource hog) so it depends on which machine you are gonna use the software.

Aperture has better library management IMO. Also, Aperture has a better interface, full screen editing, direct printing and book creation capability through Apple printing services, Aperture integrates perfectly into Mac ecosystem(sync to Apple TV, iPhone, iWork,etc) it will import your iPhoto library in 1 clic.

I chose Aperture and love it. You can download the trial for both and see which one you prefer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Burger King, McDonalds,
Mac or PC
Ford or Chevy.
Lightroom or Aperture

There are no right answers but only what fits your needs the best.

My recommendation is to download both and try them and see which one suits your needs the best.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Feature wise, they are about the same. LIghtroom has probably more 3rd party add-in or presets available since it is available on both platforms Mac and PC. Lightroom is faster to use (less ressource hog) so it depends on which machine you are gonna use the software.

Aperture has better library management IMO. Also, Aperture has a better interface, full screen editing, direct printing and book creation capability through Apple printing services, Aperture integrates perfectly into Mac ecosystem(sync to Apple TV, iPhone, iWork,etc) it will import your iPhoto library in 1 clic.

I chose Aperture and love it. You can download the trial for both and see which one you prefer.

+1

I used Lightroom since it came out and switched to Aperture a year ago. I like Aperture a lot more but in the end its nothing more then personal preference (Although Aperture does use less resources so if thats an issue you may want to look at that).

You will get people who will compare the two softwares feature wise and say things like "Well this program has crappy this, and that program has crappy this" but in reality those people just don't know how to use both programs to their full extent. They both do the exact same thing, just in a different way.

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
I've tried both of them and i prefer Aperture mostly because i think it has the better library management. But since both of them have a 30-day demo that you can download just try both of them and see what you think. Both of them provide excellent import/export functionality so don't be worried about getting locked into one or the other down the line.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have both, and have to say that right now Lightroom has the advantage in image quality with the far superior noise reduction as well as the automated lens corrections that just can't be done without add-on tools in Aperture. It's a shame too, as I really prefer the Aperture workflow.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I have both, and have to say that right now Lightroom has the advantage in image quality with the far superior noise reduction as well as the automated lens corrections that just can't be done without add-on tools in Aperture. It's a shame too, as I really prefer the Aperture workflow.

Are you talking about RAW or jpeg? Because for RAW,I find Aperture superior as far as noise handling. For lens correction, I can't comment since I haven't tried neither one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.