Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104346-ping_sidebar.jpg

Following changes to the iTunes Store terms and conditions yesterday that referred to a "Ping Sidebar" for Apple's music-focused social networking platform, Apple has now released iTunes 10.0.1 to enable the new feature and distribute a number of bug fixes.
iTunes 10.0.1 makes it easier to share your favorite music with your friends on Ping. You can now Like or Post about music right from your iTunes library. You can also easily see the recent activity of a selected artist in your library, or of all artists and friends you follow on Ping using the new Ping Sidebar.

This release also provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

- Addresses an issue where the picture quality of a video changes depending on whether the on-screen controls are visible.
- Resolves an issue where iTunes may unexpectedly quit while interacting with album artwork viewed in a separate window.
- Fixes a problem that affects the performance of some third-party visualizers.
- Addresses an issue where the iTunes library and playlists appear empty.
- Resolves an issue that created an incompatibility with some third-party shared libraries.
The new Ping functionalities increase the integration of the social networking service with users' iTunes libraries, offering users at-a-glance access to activity from artists and people they follow on Ping. The update also provides dropdown menus next to each song in a user's library to allow them to like or comment on each track and provide quick access to iTunes Store searches for the song, artist, and genre, as well the artist's Ping profile if available.

104346-ping_dropdown.jpg

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 10.0.1 With Ping Sidebar and Bug Fixes

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Took forever to install and now I'm waiting for the "Checking iTunes Library..." dialog to go away.

Really do not like this application.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
While this was one of my biggest complains about Ping (you can't like your own music), it also annoys me to have giant Ping buttons all over iTunes.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I usually wait for the x.0.1 versions of iTunes to download but I just couldn't help myself after watching the live keynote. So this is good news, though I still have a laptop with a 4:3 screen so the sidebar will probably be too much on that computer.

I did notice that iTunes 10 shaved off about 20MB vs. iTunes 9 (Windows version). I still wonder what got trimmed down...

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
While this was one of my biggest complains about Ping (you can't like your own music), it also annoys me to have giant Ping buttons all over iTunes.

If you've got Ping turned off do they all go? I really don't want Apple forcing me to share stuff. I know they want us to share links to the iTunes store but it's our music and we should be able to enjoy it without be judged by our friends.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I hope this fixes the massive crashes I was having with iTunes 10 on my PPC based machine, although I kind of doubt it considering the issue was not listed, but then they probably wouldn't want to admit it regardless. I certainly sent them a ton of crash reports. I actually went back and rebuilt my iTunes 9 library it was so bad (without exception, it would hang/kernel panic, usually in the middle of the night for no apparent reason, often with "mdworker" listed as the cause, yet when I leave iTunes 9 running or nothing running, the Mac runs 24/7 without issue. Run iTunes 10 and bang, kernel panics up the wazoo.)

I'm going to be sure and keep a separate set of iTunes 9 libraries from now on. The only bad part is I have to be careful to not run iTunes 10 without holding the key to select a different library or it will "update" the 9 library automatically without asking (making me restore it from backup) and thus making it useless once again with iTunes9. It would be nice if OSX would see them as separate programs and thus they could select their own last used database, but alas Apple assumes all their releases will be golden and thus it's not needed just like a power or reset switch wasn't "needed" on Apple TV (like it never hangs or crashes and thus never needs to be reset easily...that's why I've had to pull its power cord about 100 times since buying the thing 3 years ago :rolleyes: )

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
And we STILL can't go full screen on videos without blacking BOTH screens....

Apple, why are you so suck on some of the important details?

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
A sidebar will not stop ping from being a giant mass of suck.

Why can't Apple do something useful with the app, or at least leave well enough alone instead of introducing pointless bandwaggon jumping bloat.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
If you've got Ping turned off do they all go? I really don't want Apple forcing me to share stuff. I know they want us to share links to the iTunes store but it's our music and we should be able to enjoy it without be judged by our friends.

If you're not signed into an iTunes account, they disappear, but a smaller button with a "down" arrow remains. This gives the same context menu as shown in the post, minus the ping section (it will still have the iTunes store referral links).

It's a shame that they seem to be as keen as possible to litter your own library with pointless links, and the overall look of the application has gone downhill significantly. Gimmicky, I would say.

I'm ditching iTunes as soon as I can find a viable alternative... since they ruined the iPod nano line, there's nothing to tempt me to stick with it!

A sidebar will not stop ping from being a giant mass of suck.

Why can't Apple do something useful with the app, or at least leave well enough alone instead of introducing pointless bandwaggon jumping bloat.

hear hear!

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Ping can't hope to compete in social media if its so limited and tied to iTunes store...

Can't like/comment/post about 1/2 my library since its full of mashups/remixes and other similarly non-mainstream media ...

Big bag of fail really.... Last.fm lives another day ... i've never scrobbled a track on there and found i'm the only one listening to it and i've even managed to find some really rare stuff through asking people who have a track listed in their history ... just works and well!

Ping is pointless, its too restricted

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

No, I have Ping disabled and the buttons + sidebar are still active.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Lol ... even better... if the song metadata doesn't exactly match something in iTunes it can't find it..

I have Eminem ft. Rhianna - Love the way you Lie in my library bought from an online retailer not iTunes but Ping couldn't find it because iTunes has it as Eminem & Rhianna .... It can't work this way ...

Sminman86

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
kills quicktime controls over album artwork.

bye bye artwork mini-player

You're joking right?

This was my favorite feature in iTunes 10. Hopefully you will able to find the option to turn it back on.

So lame... The mini player is probably what was causing all of the bugs.

Quiddity

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Can someone tell me ONE good reason to activate Ping? I've got time as I'm watching the "Checking iTunes Library...".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.