Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hey guys I'm really sorry for having a couple of posts in here but something has happened to my powerbook. I turned it on today and it gave me a box around a little world, then it gave me the folder with a question mark and gave me the apple logo after that and booted into mac os x. It's really bothering me, is my machine dieing? Or is this just a software issue. A software issue, I can definetly handle if its just a reinstall of mac os x but if its the hard drive connection or logic board then my powerbook is a nice paperweight :(. Can anyone tell me why it did this and what I should do to fix it? I mean, it works but those symbols at the beginning I know aren't good to see. I recently installed onyx for os x tiger and ran a few of the operations but I have restarted the computer flawlessly since then. That's really the only major thing I can remember doing to it. If you guys can suggest anything and please let me know if this is a software or hardware issue.

Thanks so much!
Johnny

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Don't worry. It's network boot. After OS start go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and select your Mac OS X folder. At next reboot this "earth" will be gone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.