Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
apatch
macrumors newbie

iPhoto file numbers

Every time I try to "share" (move them out) my iPhoto files and move them out of iPhoto to another folder, if the numbers happen to be the same from a previous time, it will tell me they already exist and do I want to replace those photos with the new ones.

The problem is they are not the same image, and I don't want to loose the older ones by replacing them with the new ones. How do I avoid this? I've tried to rename them in iPhoto and it still says they are the same number.

Appreciate any help anyone can give for this issue. I'm trying to organize my thousands of images.
apatch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
NeverBX
macrumors newbie

Easiest way would be to create folders for the new/old images.
NeverBX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
knine22
macrumors newbie

yeah, when you download your camera pix, put them in a new folder. best thing, do batch action rename (PCs and MACs can do this through the OS, Explorer or Finder.) i tend to rename with numbers to organize my photos: i use the date & event, like YYMMDDevent
and tell Finder to append consecutively numbered suffix.

when you import into iPhoto, the files are copied in a new location for iPhoto to reference. so to save harddrive space, after importing, burn your newly renamed files on to a disk (if you want to save a backup) and delete them from your hard drive.

this should help you organize and save from the "replace?" prompt.
knine22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs