Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I'm quite curious on how Migration Assistant works. Probably in a few more years when OS X 10.7 comes out, I will be purchasing another Mac and giving away my current MacBook Pro.

I really want to keep all my current system config that I have tailored for quite a while and don't want to restart again on a clean installation.

How does Migration Assistant work when restoring through Time Machine?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'm quite curious on how Migration Assistant works. Probably in a few more years when OS X 10.7 comes out, I will be purchasing another Mac and giving away my current MacBook Pro.

I really want to keep all my current system config that I have tailored for quite a while and don't want to restart again on a clean installation.

How does Migration Assistant work when restoring through Time Machine?

If you recover from time machine it will restore everything as of the last backup - that’s what time machine was designed for.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
If you recover from time machine it will restore everything as of the last backup - that’s what time machine was designed for.

I don't think you get what I mean-I want to know how well Migration Assistant copes with restoring from Time Machine from a backup from an old computer to a new computer.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I've recently purchased a new iMac. Using Migration Assistant, I copied everything from my old to the new computer.

Now, my new machine is exactly the same as the old one - settings for Airport, Internet, mail, iTunes, Accounts etc are all intact.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I don't think you get what I mean-I want to know how well Migration Assistant copes with restoring from Time Machine from a backup from an old computer to a new computer.

Use Setup Asst. It's the thing that comes up automatically when you fire up a new Mac for the first time. It works like MA but better. For one thing, it doesn't require you to make a new account, it just transfers everything in one clean operation.

chappy87

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Southampton, UK
Hi guys,

Just about to get rid of my Alu MacBook, and replacing it with a 2007 iMac- I am running Snow Leopard, whereas the iMac is arriving with Tiger on it. I have the Snow Leopard discs, so I will be upgrading straight away, but I also want to transfer all of my MacBook's data onto the iMac with the Time Machine Migration Assistant. Obviously Snow Leopard will have to be installed before I have the option to use Time Machine Migration Assistant, so in what order should I do everything?! Should I originally boot from the Snow Leopard disc so I get a clean install, and then do the Migration?

Cheers in advance guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.