Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1
MK25toLife
macrumors regular

How do I make use of Facetime w/family members out of the country w/o paying?

I am in the US and have family members in Europe and Asia that have the iPhone 4, how do I make use of Facetime and not have to pay long distance fees?
MK25toLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Jare
macrumors 65816

Google.

Facetime is done over WiFi only, and therefor it is free for anyone, anywhere.
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
MK25toLife
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Google.

Facetime is done over WiFi only, and therefor it is free for anyone, anywhere.
Ok, I was thrown off b/c I just got back from a trip in Asia and was using Airplane mode the whole time and had wi-fi and could not utilize Factime.
MK25toLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK25toLife View Post
Ok, I was thrown off b/c I just got back from a trip in Asia and was using Airplane mode the whole time and had wi-fi and could not utilize Factime.
You can still use Facetime under Airplane Mode. Turn on Airplane mode, THEN turn on WiFi, which will keep you connected to your WiFi Network. From there, just call someone via Facetime and ta-da.
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

I've noticed that FaceTime may not work with Ad-Hoc wireless networks. Some airlines use this type of network and call it Wi-Fi. Also, if you use MyWi to broadcast a network, FaceTime will not work either.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:11 AM   #6
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

To initiate a Facetime call with a family member who's abroad you should do it from their contact card in the Contacts application, rather than calling them normally and converting to a FaceTime call.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:17 AM   #7
eastercat
macrumors 68040

IIRC, facetime does require sending a text message to that person.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:56 AM   #8
dyn
macrumors 65816

That text message is only used to activate FaceTime. It only registers your phone number (if you have an iPhone; if you have an iPod Touch you have to register your e-mail address) on some Apple server so it can use it as a unique id to recognize you. The activation is a one time thing only (except when you disable FaceTime and enable it afterwards as well as restoring the iPhone; these actions will trigger a new activation).

The actual FaceTime call uses known protocols such as xmpp (better known as jabber) over a standard tcp/ip connection. To connect users FaceTime uses the phone number (in case of an iPhone) or the registered e-mail address (in case of an iPod Touch) so it knows which persons to connect.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #9
duliel
macrumors newbie

regarding your question about facetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK25toLife View Post
I am in the US and have family members in Europe and Asia that have the iPhone 4, how do I make use of Facetime and not have to pay long distance fees?

Did you find a solution to your question? because I came to Asia and tried to use Facetime, but I could not use the Facetime somehow. I am connected to wifi, and disabled airplane mode but it didn't seem to work at all.
duliel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting