Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camperdown9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hi

I am just thinking about Christmas presents and I know I am going to be asked what I want. (some times its better to say than wait on the gift you don't really want).

Anyway I would like to be able to listen to podcasts, audiobooks and music in better quality than I currently get from the built-in speaker in my Macbook. I do have some speakers but I never use them as I have to plug them in and make sure that the Macbook and the speakers are near a power socket. Then of course the cables will be in a tangle, so they just don't get used.

Are there any speakers that I can get that can connect to my MacBook wirelessly? What I was thinking of would be small speakers that could sit on the kitchen counter connected to the power but not connected to my MacBook. In other words I could just use them without connecting any cables.

They don't have to be great quality they would mainly be used for podcasts and audio books.

Any suggestions?

Alex

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
right, but do they intigrate with itunes w/o additional software?

If I've understood correctly, they are devices that you plug into the audio jack, just like normal pair of speakers. Then you simply select the audio out as sound output and it should work universally around the OS X, just like normal speakers. The difference is that the signal will be transferred wirelessly rather than through a cable, otherwise they should work normally.

I don't have any personal experience though.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Klipsch Promedia 2.1's; the newer revision.

You'll only be able to get the newer revision on their website (~200 USD). Wireless works via a USB flash stick looking wireless broadcaster. Speakers plug into the wall, and the wireless functionality is plug-and-play.

With this method you can play anything wirelessly, not just iTunes, and if you need a regular analog input there's still a 3.5mm input on the left satellite. They're the best sounding speakers for the ~$200 price point (in my opinion); you can't go wrong.

OCJen

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
I'm a Mac newbie and a little unsure of which speakers are compatible..

I dont' see listed a software requirement on most of the wireless speakers I'm looking at, but that's not to say they don't have one.

the bestbuy link posted above, what makes those speakers different than others? for example ones i had found and really liked were by Audio Unlimited and just stated there is a wireless transmitter...

here is the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-Wireless-Speakers-withRemote-Transmitter/dp/B0036VO2B8

would these work or what tips should i be looking for when i search? THANKS so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.