Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Southerner
macrumors member

Faded pixels showing up in display

Over the last week, my 7 year old Powerbook G4 began showing faint pixels in the background which is more obvious if you are scrolling over menus also when a menu is highlighted. Unfortunately this seems to be affecting DVD playback because it will show blinking green vertical lines inside Front Row.

This image within OS X 10.5.8 will show what I mean:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5294/picture1qtu.png

Does this means the graphics card is failing?

Any ideas?
Southerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:31 PM   #2
raysfan81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
Over the last week, my 7 year old Powerbook G4 began showing faint pixels in the background which is more obvious if you are scrolling over menus also when a menu is highlighted. Unfortunately this seems to be affecting DVD playback because it will show blinking green vertical lines inside Front Row.

This image within OS X 10.5.8 will show what I mean:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5294/picture1qtu.png

Does this means the graphics card is failing?

Any ideas?
I'm having a hard time seeing what you are talking about from that pic. Do you have any others?
raysfan81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:32 PM   #3
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Maybe it's just overheating (the card). Only one possible fix is to open your PB, clean all dust of innards and replace thermal pads (IIRC PB uses thermal pad instead of thermal paste). If it won't help, card is dying and solution is to reball/replace it or change entire logic board.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Southerner
macrumors member

I was going to use TechTool Pro to try identifying the problem that is causing the distortion in the display then it tells me my copy needs updating so I downloaded the update from Micromat for it to not to work!

Hopefully you can see the pixels on the window where it says the update has failed here:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4002/picture1rw.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
Maybe it's just overheating (the card). Only one possible fix is to open your PB, clean all dust of innards and replace thermal pads (IIRC PB uses thermal pad instead of thermal paste). If it won't help, card is dying and solution is to reball/replace it or change entire logic board.
Thanks, I will try this. I guess it's just age, I probably would be advised to get a brand new computer which is likely cheaper than repairing as my AppleCare expired 2 years ago. The thing is my computer is perfectly useable apart from playing movies in DVD Player and Front Row for some strange reason. I am not ready to let this computer go also cannot afford a new one at the moment!
Southerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:06 PM   #5
666sheep
macrumors 68040

Don't know which exactly PB model you got, but look on ifixit for disassembly/assembly manuals: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBo...z#deviceGuides
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs