Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have a 2004 dual 2.5 G5, and just recently i'll be online and it just freezes up and completely locks my system, and the fun runs on high and the only way to stop it, is to do a hard shut down. Why is that, whats causing that?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Open her up and check for leaks. Also check your system profilier to make sure both CPUs are listed. A dead CPU could also be the culprit(probably also from a leak?).

Dead/faulty memory could also be the cause. Have you added any extra memory recently?

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with checking for leaks. That is notorius for causing freezing and high fan speeds.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
+1 to checking for leaks, and while your there, whens the last time you cleaned it out with compressed o2? my heatsink grills are filthy...

dlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Thanks.... I did add memory about 2 weeks, but it hasn't been working, I just took out last night. but I put it both next available ram slots and it still wont read. Wen I added the memory I did blow it out go with a can of O2. I'll check for leaks, what would be leaking???

dlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I just opened it up, and from what i can see, I dont see any corosion or any sign of leak. the floor of the tower in the front and again from what i can see is clean, even the little bit I can I see behind the CPU.

Now check this, I blew it out just about and hour or so ago, I forgot to put the fan back in, wen I turned it on it seemed to be running ok, but then I went to go put back it in, once i saw that I forgot it, it went back to freezing up as soon as the os x loads up. Could I have a bad or corrupted fan thats not reading properly??

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If you got original Install Discs, run AHT Extended test. Maybe it'll find something. Apple Service Diagnostics disc would be better for this purpose but it's hard to find in legal way.

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
Does it lock up while you're working, or if you go away and leave it for a while?

When mine freezes, it's usually because some USB device (iPod Nano 5G or Bluetooth dongle) has interfered with the automatic sleep function in power settings. I get no mouse response and ramped up fans usually when this happens, sometimes a horrible clicking fan. Sometimes the nice little black message box in the centre of the screen that tells you in many languages to shut down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.