Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skadd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Got my 27" iMac a few days ago (2010, 2,93 GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD)
Everything looks excellent except for the black level when brightness is turned up, especially above 7. The black looks ok below 7 but then there's the poor white level.
When turned up to max (16), the black looks absolutely awful in a dark room, it's dark gray rather than black.

So I'm wondering what people mean is the best brightness setting for the best possible black AND white?

I've experimented the past few hours with movies and the like and my conclusion is:

Bright room
General use: 7-8
Movie: 8 (max 10)

Dark room
General use: 6
Movie: 4-6

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I keep my 24" iMac below 5, usually 0-2. 27" is even brighter so I would keep it at the same levels or lower.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
On my iMac 21.5", there's both a brightness slider (very visable) and it also has a "Color" with additional "Calibrate" settings. Before setting its brightness, one might want to set its color Calibration first. Works for me...

Nihilvor

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
I should play with that some more as I tend to keep mine at the second to highest setting.

I don't think my machine as bright as it is supposed to be. I wonder it would make a difference if I decide to replace my screen. I'm thinking of bringing it in before the end of the year because of the yellow tint issue regardless.

Could a replacement have me end up with a brighter screen as well? I'm fine having it at its current brightness, but, if these things tend to lose brightness over time, it could eventually be less than ideal.

On my iMac 21.5", there's both a brightness slider (very visable) and it also has a "Color" with additional "Calibrate" settings. Before setting its brightness, one might want to set its color Calibration first. Works for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.