Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I have a 3GS at 3.1.2 firmware,
Bootloader is 6.4 and BB is 05.11.07.
Bootrom is 359.3.2 (new bootrom).
I have 3.1.3 blobs saved.
Phone is unlocked but never JB.

I know I can JB via Jailbreakme at my current firmware but am pondering if I am missing some niceities or advantages if I update. I have read 4.1 is not JB'able on a 3GS but 4.0 is JB'able.

Is there any better features in the higher updates that would warrant JBing there??

Advice required on the best method to JB or best update for JB and why.

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I had two 3GS phones and sold one which I JB with Blackra1n and unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

My current phone as far as I remember I saved the blobs with AutoSHSH 3.1.3.
I forget if I unlocked but when I run F0recast, it tells me it is unlocked. I have never attempted to JB this phone.

Just a thought, how can I check if the blobs I saved were from my current phone? I double checked and my current phone blobs were saved June 5, 2010. I sold my other phone in April 2010.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for your reply. I had two 3GS phones and sold one which I JB with Blackra1n and unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

My current phone as far as I remember I saved the blobs with AutoSHSH 3.1.3.
I forget if I unlocked but when I run F0recast, it tells me it is unlocked. I have never attempted to JB this phone.

Just a thought, how can I check if the blobs I saved were from my current phone? I double checked and my current phone blobs were saved June 5, 2010. I sold my other phone in April 2010.

Pretty sure, forecast is saying the phone is unlockable (with current baseband) and not phone is currently unlock.

As for finding out which SHSH blobs you may have saved and how to restore with them, download and run Tinyumbrella:

1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to restore to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can restore with. If it's not there, you can't restore to it.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during the restore process, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks Myzhi for your info. I will remember if I wish to downgrade.

I have double checked with F0recast 1.2 and it shows "Already Unlocked". I cannot remember unlocking it but am not 100% sure. I inserted 3 different provider sim cards and they all worked, so it is definitely Unlocked.

I know if I update I will lose unlock. What I need advice is what is the best iOS I can use use given what I have. If I run it on a 3.1.2 JB will I be missing some "good stuff" on say 4.0 firmware?

I would like to restore upgrade and downgrade the least amount of times to avoid mistakes and reinstalling apps etc.

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Applejuiced, what part does not make sense?

I want to give confirmed details so I don't mess it up!

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I hear what you are saying and I am getting a little bit confused.

I am 100% certain I have not attempted to JB this phone. Essentially you are saying the phone would have to be JB'ed to be unlocked. It cannot be unlocked first before being JB'ed.

I do not have Cydia icon and I can use a Fido, Roger's and Cityfone sim. I am not concerned about it being locked, only jailbroken.

I will do some more reading and checking.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I hear what you are saying and I am getting a little bit confused.

I am 100% certain I have not attempted to JB this phone. Essentially you are saying the phone would have to be JB'ed to be unlocked. It cannot be unlocked first before being JB'ed.

I do not have Cydia icon and I can use a Fido, Roger's and Cityfone sim. I am not concerned about it being locked, only jailbroken.

I will do some more reading and checking.

From what you are saying, it's a Canada factory unlock phone which means it will forever be unlock even if you update the firmware.

As to updating to jailbreakable 4.0 or 4.0.1, you need to have your SHSH files saved. Otherwise, you can only update to non jailbreakable 4.1. Thus, do you have them saved? If yes or not sure, follow my instructions above regarding Tinyumbrella.

Grasshopper2Ant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the info Myzhi, I did not know it was factory unlocked as I could not test it until I upgrade the baseband. My 3.1.3 SSH blobs were saved.

Here is how I got it JB and unlocked.

I used 4.0.1 stock firmware because my 3GS has the "new bootrom". With "old bootrom" you could of upgraded to 4.1.

I had the 3.1.3 blobs saved but to my surprise cydia updates them automatically. I used TU as you suggested to confirm this before I restored.

Once at 4.0.1 it upgraded my baseband and to my surprise it was still unlocked confirming it is a factory unlock phone. I would have bet it wasn't.

I now have purchased the vending machine theme I always wanted.

Thanks for the tips.

Bentroxell

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Don't want to threadjack or make a new thread. So i just want to make sure I unlocked my phone correctly. I downgraded my iPhone 3g from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3, jailbroke with jailbreakme.com, downloaded ultrasn0w, then used a friend's ATT sim to "activate" it.

I just wanted to unlock to sell it. I can't test that it will work on other networks. Can anyone confirm that it should work on other networks?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Don't want to threadjack or make a new thread. So i just want to make sure I unlocked my phone correctly. I downgraded my iPhone 3g from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3, jailbroke with jailbreakme.com, downloaded ultrasn0w, then used a friend's ATT sim to "activate" it.

I just wanted to unlock to sell it. I can't test that it will work on other networks. Can anyone confirm that it should work on other networks?

Go to settings/general/about and tell us your modem firmware version thats currently on your JB iphone 3G.

crawsfire

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010

Download and run f0recast and it will tell you if it is unlocked (It still isn't 100% failsafe, it does make mistakes) The only sure way that i know of is to try another networks sim card.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Download and run tinyumbrella and it will tell you if it is unlocked (It still isn't 100% failsafe, it does make mistakes) The only sure way that i know of is to try another networks sim card.

Sorry but tinyumbrella will not tell you if its unlocked or not. TU has nothing to do with what he's asking or what you posted above. TyniUmbrella is just a tool to save your shsh blobs locally and on cydias server and to allow you to restore your iphone to firmware not signed by apple anymore by using those shsh files saved.
Read more on it here:
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2010/03/faq-firmware-umbrella.html

crawsfire

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Sorry but tinyumbrella will not tell you if its unlocked or not. TU has nothing to do with what he's asking or what you posted above. TyniUmbrella is just a tool to save your shsh blobs locally and on cydias server and to allow you to restore your iphone to firmware not signed by apple anymore by using those shsh files saved.
Read more on it here:
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2010/03/faq-firmware-umbrella.html

Whoops, meant download and run f0recast. Doing three things at once.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.