Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1
cart16
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
iPad for Grandma & Grandpa

My mom has ordered an iPad for my grandparents and I am looking for advice on which apps I should sync it with and how to present it to them in a way that isn't intimidating.

As for apps the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I should download are The Weather Channel App, Etrade Pro, a gardening app, and also a recipie app. I bought the camera connection kit so my grandpa can upload his outdoor photos easily onto the ipad and I was wondering if there was an app that could he print his photos from.

They have pretty generic senior citizen interests which include the news, gardening, cooking, outdoors/hunting, and excersise/health. Any app suggestions would be very helpful.

I was thinking as far as teaching them how to use the device I should download and sync the apple tutorials onto the iPad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get them to love their ipad and hopefully throw their netbook in the trash.

Edit: Found out I cant download the tutorials.

Last edited by cart16; Sep 27, 2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Found out I can't download the tutorials
cart16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
You can download the Apple iPad User Guide in iBooks

Your Grandma might like Words with Friends if she knows other users
And Skype if she wants to make long distance calls to family

The Groupon app will get her some deals for her area too

Also she might like the Yahoo Entertainment app or the ABC player app

Check out the restaurant apps too
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:24 PM   #3
elmo151
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
be prepared to spend some time with yr grandparents. help them through the basic apps. don't add too many apps too soon.
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Red5403
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: KS
My father bought my 88 year old grandmother and iPad on day one. She LOVES being able to touch the screen to do what she needs.

Email and photos are wonderful for her. Compared to the webtv that she had before, it is just so much more intuitive for her.

She loves words with friends, and plays it with me, my brother, my dad, and I'm not sure if with any the family members.

My dad also gifted her the $9.99 (forgot the name) crossword ouzzle app.

She is a HUGE sports fiend (go K-State!) and my dad also gifted her the MLB app. I'm sure she now has whatever college football app that meets her needs.

Not sure what else she has, I should ask her.

I agree with a previous poster, go slow, don't download too many, but do download a few key apps that they would love, as that will give them the motivation, energy, and interest to learn the iPad. But, they might just fall in love with it regardless of anything.

I think my dad went over to her house to show her how to use it and get around. He also got her the keyboard dock, and I think she uses it, but I'd have to ask her about that tool.

I think the iPad has been the BEST computer/tech tool ever invented for my grandmother and probably for others her age or with other limitations.
Red5403 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
StevenT42
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Don't forget to download iBooks, and since Amazon's selection is better, the Kindle app.

For news, you can try NYT Editor's Choice, USA Today for iPad, and ABC News for iPad.
StevenT42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
hcho3
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart16 View Post
My mom has ordered an iPad for my grandparents and I am looking for advice on which apps I should sync it with and how to present it to them in a way that isn't intimidating.

As for apps the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I should download are The Weather Channel App, Etrade Pro, a gardening app, and also a recipie app. I bought the camera connection kit so my grandpa can upload his outdoor photos easily onto the ipad and I was wondering if there was an app that could he print his photos from.

They have pretty generic senior citizen interests which include the news, gardening, cooking, outdoors/hunting, and excersise/health. Any app suggestions would be very helpful.

I was thinking as far as teaching them how to use the device I should download and sync the apple tutorials onto the iPad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get them to love their ipad and hopefully throw their netbook in the trash.

Edit: Found out I cant download the tutorials.
Help them set up itunes account. After that, sign up for the training at apple store. Either that, or you can train.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:03 PM   #7
rubbernecker72
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Dont forget the weather app

If they are anything like my grandparents were (always concerned about the weather), i would definitely have weather bug on there for them.
rubbernecker72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:37 PM   #8
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL area
Your grandparents sound cool. I hope they enjoy it!
__________________
Have iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple TVs - enjoy the products!
bowlerman625 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020
 
Dr Kevorkian94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: # 12 Grimmauld Place
i got an ipad for mom and she took to it in like a week. i taught her the basics and she learned the rest by herself. that might not compare but it will be great for the elderly.
__________________
The Artfull Dodger
Dr Kevorkian94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
The things that are going to mess your grandparents up are the iTunes synch process, and god forbid, it is not uncomplicated to download photos from your iPad to a PC...

I would highly recommend if you are in the same geographical area as them to download iTunes on their computer, and sync their iPad up yourself.

The learning curve is bad enough (my mom and dad are techno-noobs). There is a lot to learn on the iPad, although a lot is intuitive but when you start dealing with WIFI and passwording their WIFI etc it can get really bogging for them.

Advice recapped: you set them up with the iTunes, let them play with their new toy, help them set up their email etc, show them how the App store works and have them buy or go over or find the apps they might be interested in in the store with you.

I have had do do that with my mom. It has only been a month since she has had it and I don't live nearby to help her with the iTunes part, but I will walk her through on the phone.

New toys are intimidating enough without figuring out how to integrate iTunes at first.

Good Luck. Sorry if my post was too long.

WW
__________________
Life is too short to dance with ugly men!
Wrathwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:00 AM   #11
matrix07
macrumors 68000
 
matrix07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathwitch View Post
The things that are going to mess your grandparents up are the iTunes synch process, and god forbid, it is not uncomplicated to download photos from your iPad to a PC...

I would highly recommend if you are in the same geographical area as them to download iTunes on their computer, and sync their iPad up yourself.

WW
I would say for grand mom and grand pa just forget about iTunes syncing. Create an account at the store and forget about iTunes.
matrix07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 AM   #12
cliegal
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
I would say for grand mom and grand pa just forget about iTunes syncing. Create an account at the store and forget about iTunes.
That's a bit of aegism there isn't it?

This grandma wants play around with iOS 4.2, buy apps, rip her movie collection with subtitles and sync them along with some of a 40 year collection of music. Oh yeah, and when bored and/or tired of reading tech magazines, blogs, forum posts and the Stieg Larsson trilogy, strive to get 3 stars on every Angry Birds level.
__________________
iPad 3G 64GB, iPad Air 128GB WiFi, iPad Air2 128GB WiFi, iPad Mini Retina 128GB Wifi, iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Sprint, 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13 256/16
cliegal is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grandma's first iPhone iBlazed iPhone 17 May 14, 2014 06:53 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Case... For my Grandma? HappyDude20 iPad Accessories 5 Nov 24, 2012 10:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC