Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:49 AM   #1
DeSouza
macrumors newbie

ATV and TimeCapsule

I've pre-ordered TV and mine should be delivered on Friday according to my email from Apple.

Anyway, I have recently stored a whole load of TV and Film on my TimeCapsule rather than taking up space on my MacBookPro HDD and I was wondering if anyone knows if the new TV will stream directly from the TC?

If not I have my iPad which is always switched on so its no big deal to stream from that to the TV but it would be much nicer to have the freedom to access 500Gb of content from my TC rather than the 64Gb on my iPad.

I've always been frustrated by having to keep my MBP switched on to play music through my Airport Express rather than direct from my iPhone or iPad so I'm well happy that Apple have fixed that in the impending iOS updates, I really hope I dont need to go back to having my MBP switched on as a bridge from TV to my TC.

Any thoughts, much welcome! Cheers
DeSouza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:00 AM   #2
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Unfortunately yes you have to have a computer on running iTunes to play content from your Time Capsule on the new Apple TV if it is anything like the current one.

However, your Time Capsule supports Wireless Wake On Demand so if you have Snow Leopard you should be able to keep the Macbook closed and sleep and it will still play the content on the Time Capsule whenever requested.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:05 AM   #3
DeSouza
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Unfortunately yes you have to have a computer on running iTunes to play content from your Time Capsule on the new Apple TV if it is anything like the current one.

However, your Time Capsule supports Wireless Wake On Demand so if you have Snow Leopard you should be able to keep the Macbook closed and sleep and it will still play the content on the Time Capsule whenever requested.
That would work, do I need to alter anything on my Macbook or will it just work as soon as I close her up?

I guess I'll just have fun playing with it all on Friday (providing it comes!)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:09 AM   #4
DeSouza
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post

And thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:19 AM   #5
newagemac
macrumors 68000

You enable it in the Energy Saver preferences on your Mac. It appears there are a few caveats I wasn't aware of though unless they have updated it since it was first introduced.

Laptops connected wirelessly (Wireless Wake on LAN) cannot be on battery power and need to either have an external display attached or be left open (but still can be sleep) for this to work. If connected directly with an ethernet cable I don't think this limitation exists.

One nice thing about it is that your Mac goes back to sleep once the network service is finished running. Wake On Demand is a really nice feature for desktop based Macs used with an Apple TV but because of the aforementioned limitations it may not be as practical with a laptop.

Here is an article from a year ago with the details:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1424...on_demand.html
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater