Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Wondertwinpower
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Question DVD Burner for iMac G3

I would love to have a DVD burner for my 600mhz iMac G3 but have not found an answer about whether there is one that will function properly. Does anybody know?
Wondertwinpower is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Lancetx
macrumors 68000
 
Lancetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondertwinpower
I would love to have a DVD burner for my 600mhz iMac G3 but have not found an answer about whether there is one that will function properly. Does anybody know?
Any decent quality brand external FireWire DVD burner should work just fine using Roxio Toast software. AFAIK, no external burners fully support the Apple iApps though.
Lancetx is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:54 AM   #3
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetx
Any decent quality brand external FireWire DVD burner should work just fine using Roxio Toast software. AFAIK, no external burners fully support the Apple iApps though.

You can find Easter Egg Hacks, for this minor issue.


Do not bother with any external DVD burner that is rated under 8x at the present only 8x and higher and you will be pleased.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:36 PM   #4
aethier
macrumors 6502a
 
aethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal, Canada
most people got a dvd burner to work on their g3;s even though at a macworld a few years ago, steve claimed that you absolutely needed the power of a g4 to burn dvds.


aethier
__________________
My mobile workstation: 15' 1.25GHz AL Powerbook; Ati Radeon 9600 64mb; 80Gb 5400rpm HDD; Superdrive; 1024Mb of ram
Mobile Gaming: PSP
Mobile Music: 3g 15bg iPod, 1g ipod shuffle, white 4g nano
aethier is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:40 PM   #5
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethier
most people got a dvd burner to work on their g3;s even though at a macworld a few years ago, steve claimed that you absolutely needed the power of a g4 to burn dvds.


aethier
Marketing.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:05 PM   #6
asimov
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Belgium
Talking What about replacing the DVD/CD drive with an internal DVD writer in an iMac DV SE?

I keep reading posts about external DVD writers for iMac G3's (DV of course!) but did anyone ever try to replace the combo DVD/CD ROM drive with an internal DVD writer.

I would like to know if this is at all possible.
I sure would like to give it a try.

Asimov
asimov is offline   0
Old Jan 3, 2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Mertzen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ]KLGA[
Send a message via AIM to Mertzen
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
I keep reading posts about external DVD writers for iMac G3's (DV of course!) but did anyone ever try to replace the combo DVD/CD ROM drive with an internal DVD writer.

I would like to know if this is at all possible.
I sure would like to give it a try.

Asimov

MCE offers this: http://www.mcetech.com/dvdrwimacsl.html
Mertzen is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:38 PM   #8
asimov
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Belgium
Replacing DVD/CD combo drive in G3 iMac DV with DVD burner

Thanks, very much for the info!

Now! Where do I find the necessary "How to!" to take my favourite iMac apart (and more important, put it back together!)?

Asimov
asimov is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screen Flickering on iMac G3 DV after upgrade to Mac OS X Coolmatt49 PowerPC Macs 3 Jun 19, 2011 02:43 AM
best supplemental dvd burner for imac? BraveSirRobin37 Mac Peripherals 8 May 18, 2008 06:24 PM
best dvd burner for imac? wchong iMac 2 Oct 25, 2006 08:34 PM
Internal burner for imac G3 mikey.c Macintosh Computers 1 Mar 18, 2005 10:33 AM
External DVD Burner for iMac G3/600 SteveC Macintosh Computers 2 Jul 25, 2004 01:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC