Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

192617-ios_4_2_beta_2.jpg

Apple today seeded the second beta version of iOS 4.2, along with the associated software development kit (SDK) and Xcode 3.2.5, to developers. The company has also pushed out a beta version of iTunes 10.1 for developer testing.

192617-itunes_10_1_beta.jpg

We've yet to hear word about specific changes available in the new releases, but we will provide more details as the information surfaces.

iOS 4.2, which will finally unify the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on iOS 4 when it is publicly released in November, saw its first beta version seeded to developers nearly two weeks ago.

Article Link: iOS 4.2 Beta 2 and iTunes 10.1 Beta Seeded to Developers

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
My 3G data connection (O2 UK) is working again! It broke in beta 1, but seems fine now, awesome.

Not spotted any other changes yet...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
For those that are wondering, there’s no turn off Ping option in the iTunes 10.1 beta. Also, there’s no way to turn the Genius side bar back on (instead of Ping), the icons are still grayscale and the “stoplights” are still vertical.

cprail

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
After being an app manager, an audio files organizer, a video manager, a ringtone creator (now gone), a cd ripper, a webkit browser for the iTunes Store and a sync utility for a very large number of devices, iTunes now support print management?
Seriously, what can't this software do?!?

nistromo

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
Manchester, UK
iPad settings is crashing out for me when trying to add a MobileMe account. Tried a full restore to beta 2 aswell. Wont let me add the account unless I sync from iTunes

on a plus side they have updated the "connect to iTunes" icon when doing a restore

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
I thought enough people knew that your UDID does not have to be registered to upgrade to 4.2 beta (if you can find the file) as long as you Option+Upgrade (Mac) in iTunes (I think its Alt+Upgrade for Windows)

Simply clicking Upgrade or Restore does require your UDID to be registered and will fail to install.

if you want to brick your phone/touch/ipad do just that, you have to be developer/beta tester to activate your device after installation!

ok i stand corrected - if you update you can do it without registration, if you restore, you need registration, sry for brainfart

spimp31

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2003
Uh, where's the link for the download? You should be able to download this from Apple's server with a publicly accessible link, just as has been the case with past betas (including 4.2b1). It does you no good if you don't have a UDID.

I'm hoping that 4.2b2 has added back in the option to send audio to a first gen Apple TV. There's no reason why I can use the new remote app (or previous remote app) or my Mac to send audio to my Apple TV but I can't through the iPad because Apple wants me to spend $100 on a new Apple TV. I was hoping this was just a bug in 4.2b1, but I have a bad feeling that this is just a scumbag move on their part to limit functionality.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
After being an app manager, an audio files organizer, a video manager, a ringtone creator (now gone), a cd ripper, a webkit browser for the iTunes Store and a sync utility for a very large number of devices, iTunes now support print management?

It cant be speedy about it thats what! :p

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I swear, it seems like there are more non-developers using beta now than legit developers.

And really, printing in iTunes? Dead lord...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I wonder what the changes are of iTunes 10.1. There doesn't appear to be a turn off for Ping, unfortunately.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008

Open in under 10 seconds?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Open in under 10 seconds?

iTunes 10 opens in 1 second for me, but that's because of my SSD :D.

iTunes 10.1 beta for all OSs (including Mac OS X, Windows x86, and Windows x64) are uploaded. My Twitter has links.

My Twitter also has a link to the entire release notes.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008

iTunes 10.1 beta for all OSs (including Mac OS X, Windows x86, and Windows x64) are uploaded. My Twitter has links.

Ok, let me try it at my end...

Nope, 15.2 seconds here.

Bloated software gets more bloated.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Yeah, in a couple of years you'll need a separate MAC/PC just to run itunes. It will be it's own OS. LOL

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac

I've been considering the same thing. My iTunes and iPhoto Libraries take a while to load. Do you keep those libraries in a separate regular drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.