Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacehim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hi,

I've just decided to learn how to make apps for the kids ipad, got all obsessive and ran out and bought a new 13" Mac Book Pro and installed the iOS 4.1 SDK which I downloaded from apple. I accepted all the default install settings, the only thing I didn't install was 10.4 support which was optional.

I also bought a couple of books to learn about objective-c but when I create a new xcode project the book differs from the list of templates that you can create.

xcode has templates listed under Mac OS X as
Application
Framework & Library
Application Plug-in
System Plug-in
Other

The book has a list like this...

Application
Audio Units
Automator Action
Bundle
Command Line Utility
Dynamic Library
Framework
Java
Kernel Extension
Standard Apple Plug-in
Static Library
Other

Just to start off the first chapter to return "hello world" the book says to select "Command Line Utility" which isn't available in my install. So where did I go wrong? Can someone please help me to get started???

Thanks in advance.

Lacehim

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Identify the specific books: title, author, edition number or publication date.

You should also check the Foreword or Introduction of each book to determine exactly which version of Xcode it uses. There are major differences between Xcode 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x. You need to buy books that match the version of Xcode you're using.

By the way, Command Line Tool should be under the Application category. The list on the left (Application, Framework & Library, etc.) identifies a category of related templates. Explore.

Lacehim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
I was using Programming in objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan. It was a second handbook that I bought online so must be using a older version of Xcode. I've ordered Objective-C for dummies which is based on Xcode 3.2 so between the two I'm sure I will find my way about. Are there any other must have books that I should consider buying?

I had a play about with xcode before posting up the question, but just wanted to confirm that I didn't install it wrong. Seems it's all good. I'm really loving my mac and can't wait to start learning about programming.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.