Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
cosolin
macrumors newbie

Liveview Tethering in Aperture 2 with Nikon D700?

I recently did a photoshoot tethering my D700 to Aperture 2 and it worked very well. Does anyone know if there is a way to shoot tethered using liveview so the computer is showing the live picture? I thought you could, but I could not figure it out.

Thanks for any help.
cosolin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

I do not believe you can tether with live view on the computer display with Aperture 2 or 3 (I have both), tether support for A2 and A3 are fairly basic. If you want live view, you'll have to get Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 app, which is a great app and perfect if you want to be able to use live view to view the live image with your computer screen. You can also adjust any setting on the camera through the app. Here is a screen shot with the Nikon app (both live view window and settings window on the right) with my D700:

If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can buy the app DSLRRemote, connect D700 to computer, connect the iPad/iPhone wirelessly to your computer (via a server software included), and then use the iPad/iPhone as your cordless shooting device with live view support. You just tap on the live view picture on the screen to select where you want to focus, and it will take a photo then saved to your computer.
Here is a taken from the D700 via DSLRemote:

The Nikon app is much more expensive than the DSLRRemote app for iPhone/iPad, but it truly works flawlessly for the professional because every setting on the camera can be adjusted via the computer app. The DSLRemote is a bit more complicated to set up (still very simple), but it allows you the freedom to trigger the shutter anywhere you are, while being abled to view the image live on the iPad/iPhone.
Nikon D700

Last edited by chiefroastbeef; Sep 29, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
cosolin
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, ChiefRoastBeef. I've seen Nikon's software, but hadn't seen DSLR remote. I might give the iPhone app a look. Shooting tethered to Aperture has a lot of advantages, even if I can't adjust camera setting from within the program, but liveview on the iphone could be pretty useful.
cosolin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography