Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I have a problem that I need to resolve in a quick timely manner. I need some good opinions from everyone. I have a PowerPC G5, Silver tower, with 1 gig of RAM. I installed OS 10.3.9 on it instead of OS 10.4.11. Don't ask why. Itunes 4.0 comes with OS 10.3.9 which I am trying to figure out a way to either upgrade OS 10.3.9 to 10.4.11 or try to find iTunes 7.

I am sure I will get the answer to upgrade rather than to install iTunes 7. The problem is, how do I upgrade the OS without risking losing any existing files and documents? I can't afford to lose any data especially if it is not mine.

If I have to upgrade the OS then I will but the upgrade has to go smooth without any data loss.

Any suggestions?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You can run up to iTunes 7.7.1 on Panther. Old versions here.

Yes, make a backup, but you can also upgrade to OS X Tiger by doing an archive and install which preserves your data, apps and settings.

However, you have other choices. If you click the Option button in the Installer’s Select a Destination screen, you can select to Archive & Install. With this method, the entire Panther software is moved to a separate folder called Previous Systems; a completely new install of Tiger is put in its place.

I strongly recommend doing an Archive & Install (adding the option to preserve your Home directory and Network settings) rather than an Upgrade. While an Upgrade generally works well, it can lead to problems if, for example, you have modified or moved any OS X files such that the Installer can no longer upgrade them properly.

http://www.macworld.com/article/44553/2005/04/tigerinstallation.html

pfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
thanks for the suggestions. I think it would be best to do an upgrade rather than staying with OS 10.3.9 and using iTunes 7.

Blue Velet: So, if I select the Archive and Install option, then I am guaranteed not to lose any data, right? As far as the Old Apps goes, I checked there site but iTunes 7 is for Windows.

Miles01110: Yes, I will backup everything before I do anything at all.

Any more suggestions?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
lue Velet: So, if I select the Archive and Install option, then I am guaranteed not to lose any data, right? As far as the Old Apps goes, I checked there site but iTunes 7 is for Windows.

Sorry. My apologies. Try here then for iTunes 7.7.

Unless something goes drastically wrong, which is why you should have a backup, Archive and Install just creates a new System Folder. To clone the current boot drive, use SuperDuper!

pfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Thanks for all of the suggestions. UPDATE: I was successful in upgrading from OS 10.3.9 to 10.4. I did use the Archive and Install option which worked great without losing any teacher's files. The only problem is this, I noticed that Garage Band disappeared after the upgrade. There was an Icon on the dock but now it has a question mark. I searched the Applications folder in the Previous System and the new system but I didn't see it.

Why would Garage Band disappear?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Why would Garage Band disappear?

The only thing that survives an archive and install option is the user folder which might not contain iLife applications. Everything else is pretty much eliminated. Not to mention that any retail OS upgrades do not install iLife

Just re-install from the second restore disc that came with your computer.

pfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I don't have the second DVD. Garage band is on the second DVD? I know that 10.4 has iPhoto 2, iMovie 2, etc.... So, GB is a separate install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.