Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
LouieSamman
macrumors 6502a
 
LouieSamman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Apple TV: No Browser

WHY??!!??

Google TV is going to have one.

Will we see a browser in an update to compete with google?
__________________
TOSHIBA 47" LED TV Attached to iMac 27" 3TB Fusion Drive
iPhone 5 Black 32GB AT&T | 3rd gen iPad White 32GB AT&T
iPhone 5 Flickr | Instagram & Twitter: @LouieSamman

Last edited by LouieSamman; Sep 29, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
LouieSamman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Microsaft
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
No.

Steve wants us to buy an iPad to get the ultimate browsing experience.
Microsaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
UnseenLlama
macrumors 6502a
 
UnseenLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieSamman View Post
WHY??!!??

Google TV is going to have one.

Will we see a browser in an update to compete with google?
Why don't you buy a Google TV then if a browser is your top priority...wait, it's not out.
UnseenLlama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
dagomike
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
If I wanted to browse on my TV, I'd put a TV tuner on my computer.

Why would you want to browse on a TV when you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad?
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
what is the appeal of the browsing on a tv? not bashing, just curious. i have a ps3, but have never used it as a web browser.
__________________
21.5" iMac • 23" ACD • 11" Air • iPad 4 64GB • iPad Mini 32GB •4G 64GB iPod Touch • 5G 32GB iPod Touch • 4G 8GB iPod Nano • 3G 8GB Nano • Apple TV2 • 160 GB Apple TV • iPhone 5 32GB
Mr Kram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:31 PM   #6
steviem
macrumors 68020
 
steviem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, Baby!
1) Get iPad with iOS 4.2
2) Go to youtube.com
3) start a video, press airplay, send it to your AppleTV
4) ???
5) Profit
__________________
iPhone 4 - iPad 2 16GB wifi - AppleTV
Sony a55 - Minolta 50mm - Tamron 55-200
MBP for work, barely use it outside of work

Last edited by grapes911; Sep 29, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: changed .com
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:37 PM   #7
bobr1952
macrumors 68000
 
bobr1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
I have apps on my TV that allow browsing to a certain extent but I doubt I will ever use them, why bother when my iMac is in the same room. I like the Netflix and Amazon On Demand apps but I'll pass on the rest.
__________________
2012 rMPB, 2.3 Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD; 2008 iMac, 24", 2GB, 500GB; Time Capsule 500GB (1st Gen); ATV3; ATV2; Airport Express; Black 64GB iPhone 4S; Black iPad Air, 32GB, wi-fi
bobr1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:45 PM   #8
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagomike View Post
If I wanted to browse on my TV, I'd put a TV tuner on my computer.
The point is not to be able to browse the internet and watch TV on the same machine, but to be able to browse the internet while watching TV. For instance, say you're watching a movie on your AppleTV and you can't figure out who the heck that cute actress is who looks so familiar. You pause the movie, go to the browser, look up the movie on IMdB and bingo! Many times, I've done the same steps, except I had to walk across the room and wake up my wife's PowerBook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagomike View Post
Why would you want to browse on a TV when you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad?
Not everyone has an iPhone/iPod/iPad. (Actually, I have an iPod, but it's an old one.)

I don't consider the lack of a browser a big deal, but I do think it would be a nice addition. I also think there will eventually be one.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:03 PM   #9
DJinTX
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
The point is not to be able to browse the internet and watch TV on the same machine, but to be able to browse the internet while watching TV. For instance, say you're watching a movie on your AppleTV and you can't figure out who the heck that cute actress is who looks so familiar. You pause the movie, go to the browser, look up the movie on IMdB and bingo! Many times, I've done the same steps, except I had to walk across the room and wake up my wife's PowerBook.



Not everyone has an iPhone/iPod/iPad. (Actually, I have an iPod, but it's an old one.)

I don't consider the lack of a browser a big deal, but I do think it would be a nice addition. I also think there will eventually be one.
I am in this exact situation ALL the time. My solution? I use my iPhone. I realize not all people have iPhones, but it is definitely their loss. In fact given the choice between using my iPhone during the TV show, or being able to pause my show and look them up on my TV, I would choose using my iPhone every time. It just works. And I don't have to delay the watching of the show for anyone else in the room.

With that said, I can see the benefit to surfing on the TV, as it is a nice big screen. In the past I have wanted to show people flickr slideshows, or a cool clip on youtube, or just some random site that I think my friends will get a kick out of...and without an Apple TV or other capable set top box, I would have to connect my MacBook. Not very convenient. If I had the internet on TV then I wouldn't have to do this. Of course the new Apple TV is going to solve alot of this. Maybe all of it eventually, depending on how robust AirPlay is. Not to mention apps
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:04 PM   #10
bouldermac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
After reading the reviews about how painful it is to type in data (without using the Remote App), I wouldn't want to browse on it anyway.
bouldermac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:16 PM   #11
ipedro
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Reading text on a Tv across the room is a less than ideal experience. Sometimes, I just get the feeling that people want features for the sake of having them.

With iOS5, we will no doubt see some sort of browsing experience on the TV, but with only the appropriate content for a big screen being displayed there. You'll browse on your iPad, iPod or iPhone while photos and video are displayed on screen.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:16 PM   #12
LouieSamman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
LouieSamman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsaft View Post
No.

Steve wants us to buy an iPad to get the ultimate browsing experience.
Although I do have an iPad, that is just use for your own eyes. What if I have a big group in my family in the living room and I would like to show them a web page or article that I found.

The reason for the browser on the apple TV is to share the web to a big group with a big screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post
Why don't you buy a Google TV then if a browser is your top priority...wait, it's not out.
It's not top priority but it's a nice add on and will have it's uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagomike View Post
If I wanted to browse on my TV, I'd put a TV tuner on my computer.

Why would you want to browse on a TV when you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad?
The iPhone/iPod/iPad is not the best at sharing with a big group all at once.

The reason is the same reason why there's Youtube, Netflix, Flickr on the Apple TV. To share and watch it on a bigger screen.

What your saying is the same way as saying why have youtube on the Apple TV when it's on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It's the sharing factor and the bigger screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
what is the appeal of the browsing on a tv? not bashing, just curious. i have a ps3, but have never used it as a web browser.
Well by yourself, not much of an appeal, but for sharing with family and surfing the web with them, then theres an appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
1) Get iPad with iOS 4.2
2) Go to youtube.com
3) start a video, press airplay, send it to your AppleTV
4) ???
5) Profit
Only video? I want full web to be put on the the Apple TV. Maybe later Airplay will allow you to display the browser on the iPad to the Apple TV. Now that would be awesome and ideal in navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr1952 View Post
I have apps on my TV that allow browsing to a certain extent but I doubt I will ever use them, why bother when my iMac is in the same room. I like the Netflix and Amazon On Demand apps but I'll pass on the rest.
apps will make apple TV go further than there competition. It's the key. But we have to wait on apple to do so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldermac View Post
After reading the reviews about how painful it is to type in data (without using the Remote App), I wouldn't want to browse on it anyway.
Maybe bluetooth keyboard. But understandably theres no hardware to support that since I don't think they added bluetooth in the apple TV.

Maybe use the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to type. That will be the only solution and not as tough as using the apple TV remote with an onscreen keyboard.

Or maybe have airplay go even further than just video & music and have it stream the browser on the iPad to the Apple TV and navigate by using the iPad multitouch and onscreen keyboard. That seems to be realistic.
__________________
TOSHIBA 47" LED TV Attached to iMac 27" 3TB Fusion Drive
iPhone 5 Black 32GB AT&T | 3rd gen iPad White 32GB AT&T
iPhone 5 Flickr | Instagram & Twitter: @LouieSamman

Last edited by grapes911; Sep 29, 2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: quote was edited above
LouieSamman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:43 PM   #13
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000
 
8CoreWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big D
The jailbreak TV will have one. Patience. : )
__________________
Late 2013 Haswell 15" rMBP... iPhone 5S iOS7... AEBS 802.11AC ... iPod Shuffle...
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I agree tv web browsers aren't worth it. I don't see people wanting to search by keying their search on their remote controls.
Apple Expert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:07 PM   #15
LouieSamman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
LouieSamman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
The jailbreak TV will have one. Patience. : )
ah I don't like the fact of jailbreaking. If it's easy to do, then I might go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Expert View Post
I agree tv web browsers aren't worth it. I don't see people wanting to search by keying their search on their remote controls.
You can use the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone or iPad through airplay or apple remote.
__________________
TOSHIBA 47" LED TV Attached to iMac 27" 3TB Fusion Drive
iPhone 5 Black 32GB AT&T | 3rd gen iPad White 32GB AT&T
iPhone 5 Flickr | Instagram & Twitter: @LouieSamman
LouieSamman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:42 PM   #16
grockk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
Reading text on a Tv across the room is a less than ideal experience. Sometimes, I just get the feeling that people want features for the sake of having them.
You just described the tech community perfectly.
__________________
MacMini i5–MacBook–PB G4 12–5G iPod–iPod Mini–2G Nano–iPhone 5, 5c–iPad2–rMini–ATV3
AEBS–AXBS–iSight–MagicTP–BT KB
MacMini C2D–6G iPod–iTouch–1G Nano–iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4S-BT Headset
grockk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:26 AM   #17
dagomike
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieSamman View Post
The iPhone/iPod/iPad is not the best at sharing with a big group all at once.

The reason is the same reason why there's Youtube, Netflix, Flickr on the Apple TV. To share and watch it on a bigger screen.

What your saying is the same way as saying why have youtube on the Apple TV when it's on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It's the sharing factor and the bigger screen.
I spend too much time sitting in a room with others "sharing" their Powerpoint. I can't read the damn thing because it has 500 words on a slide or a graph that looked great at 2560x1920.

YouTube and Netflix is a perfect use of a TV and pictures can be too. Macrumors.com, not so much. At that point you're really looking for a computer and projector/monitor, not an Apple TV.

One exception I think would be HTML5 video.
dagomike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creation of Original iPhone Browser Detailed by Former Apple Engineer MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 37 Apr 26, 2014 08:35 PM
Apple Announces 'iWork for iCloud' for In-Browser Use MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 78 Aug 7, 2013 09:45 AM
iPhone: Browser Chooser / Browser Changer ? ? ? YaBoiD Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Jun 4, 2013 01:22 PM
Apple II Emulator in iPad browser, who needs an app store? OSMac Community Discussion 2 Dec 12, 2012 10:37 AM
Apple TV 1st Gen web browser SpetsnaZ99 Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Jun 16, 2012 02:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC