Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

205609-tether.jpg

The latest iPad iOS 4.2 Beta 2 released yesterday appears to include new tethering options in the settings (pic via Paulgrav). According to 9to5Mac the options only appear on European carriers and does not yet appear on AT&T devices.

As best we can tell, these settings might allow you to tether your iPad 3G's internet connection to another device, such as a laptop. This means you will be able to share your iPad 3G connection with your laptop (via a USB cable). You can similarly share your iPhone's 3G connection in the same manner, though AT&T charges an additional fee to enable this service. Unfortunately, for iPhone owners this still doesn't allow you to share your iPhone's 3G with the iPad.

Article Link: iPad 4.2 Beta 2 Adds Tethering Settings

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, this is nice for those who own an iPad 3G only. (and not an iPhone). But at first blush it seemed like it would allow the iPhone<->iPad thing, but it does not.

arn

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Whenever I need to bring my iPad outside and an Internet connection is needed, I always have my iPhone with me. It is very stupid to add another 3G monthly fee to my expenses. iPad WiFi + iTether is the best option for me. I don't even have to jailbreak my iPhone and it does not drain my battery so much as MyWi.

When I saw the headline I thought that Apple had done the impossible thing to enable tethering to an iPhone :(

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Damn, I want my iPhone to share its 3G stream with my iPad. Keep waiting...

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
The 9to5mac guy was from Sweden on 3. This guy is on T-Mobile UK. Any way to know who has it and who doesn't?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Damn, I want my iPhone to share its 3G stream with my iPad. Keep waiting...

I'm not sure what's stopping Apple to add the ability for an iPad to tether to an iPhone, as the iPad is not subsidized by carriers......

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Tethering a laptop thru an iPad? No, that's not cumbersome at all :rolleyes: why bother?

If the iPad could tether thru an iPhone, I'd buy one tomorrow. No way I'm paying at&t for a second data plan.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Tethering a laptop thru an iPad? No, that's not cumbersome at all :rolleyes: why bother?

If the iPad could tether thru an iPhone, I'd buy one tomorrow. No way I'm paying at&t for a second data plan.

"If the iPad could tether thru an iPhone"
:D You are just a jailbreakable iOS version away.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Whenever I need to bring my iPad outside and an Internet connection is needed, I always have my iPhone with me. It is very stupid to add another 3G monthly fee to my expenses. iPad WiFi + iTether is the best option for me. I don't even have to jailbreak my iPhone and it does not drain my battery so much as MyWi.

When I saw the headline I thought that Apple had done the impossible thing to enable tethering to an iPhone :(

but you have to jailbreak your iPad...

khull

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
tethering was always possible with jailbreaking the phone. It's a sad fact that most people associate jailbreaking with piracy which is not the case.

"If the iPad could tether thru an iPhone"
:D You are just a jailbreakable iOS version away.

This is true... but for the time being I am still holding out before I go all jailbreak crazy. Like being able to upgrade my iphone when the next Ver. comes out.

With RIM coming out with their blackberry to playbook tether I really hope apple does something to add this functionality. I don't have an iPad yet, and I'll probably buy ver 2 when it comes out. That ability would cause me to positively jump in line to buy one. That's what I'm holding out my unlimited for :)

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
i wish they would make a plan where you pay for data for a device and add another device for 5$ to access the data. it wouldnt being using anymore data then what you already paid for, it would make people wana buy multiable devices, gets an extra 5$ a month, and make people not wana cancel their plans.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Apple really needs to allow us to tether the iPad to the iPhone. Using the iPhone's 3G connection on my WiFi-only iPad would be wonderful!

bensen

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Berlin

bs. you have to jailbreak your device to use apps from cydia.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
i wish they would make a plan where you pay for data for a device and add another device for 5$ to access the data. it wouldnt being using anymore data then what you already paid for, it would make people wana buy multiable devices, gets an extra 5$ a month, and make people not wana cancel their plans.

This makes sense.

I don't want to purchase a separate data plan for multiple mobile devices in addition to my plan at home, so I don't buy the extra device in the first place.

With your proposed scheme I probably would purchase more hardware.

mac1313

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I can confirm the internet tethering shows up in the Dominican Republic using Claro as a carrier. Yet, it is not functional.

wunderboy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I totally understand but don't want to understand AT&T and other carriers philosophy. I mean it all comes down to profit...so I understand but don't want to as a customer.

They get rid of unlimited plans so they can make more money off of those that use a ton of data, yet the tethering option (in my opinion) is not worth it for the money. Why charge so much extra when you are limited to a cap on monthly data. Isn't that the whole point of having a cap...make more money if the customer goes over it? I totally would understand if it was unlimited but not $20 for a cap'd plan. I agree with the above poster about having a per device adder. But I also think....wait I am paying for X amount of data per month...WHO CARES if I have 100 devices using that data...it is cap'd and if I go over I pay. I paid for that data!

I also wonder if these providers actually couldn't keep up with true data demand if everyone used their cap, but that is just a guess.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
bs. you have to jailbreak your device to use apps from cydia.

Check your fact book before calling bs.

iTether enables your iPad to use the internet connection shared by iPhone's bluetooth tethering. You only need to jailbreak the iPad but not the iPhone since Bluetooth tethering is supported officially and enabled in most of the countries in the world, in some markets you even don't need to pay an extra fee to enjoy unlimited tethering.

My statement "I don't even have to jailbreak my iPhone" is correct.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
tethering was always possible with jailbreaking the phone. It's a sad fact that most people associate jailbreaking with piracy which is not the case.

You know, I'll just come out and say it - the only reasons why I jailbroke my iPhone 2G was to 1) not pay the iPhone data plan rate and 2) pirate apps. Once I gave up on how flaky a jailbroken device is I 1) went legit with my plan and 2) didn't pirate apps.

It's not a sad fact, it's just fact.

botorman

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
As expected! it is not hard for apple to implement for iPhone sharing 3G with the iPad. It would be only afraid for affect the sell of iPad 3G.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Paying for a data connection per device is just plain ridiculous. Imagine if you had to do that at home? :rolleyes: MyWi is your friend. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.