Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm looking to display my iPhone (Iphone 4, jailbroken on 4.0.1) on my TV. I do not have a widescreen HD TV. I mainly want to watch Netflix but I'll likely use it for other things as well.

Now, I just ordered this set of cables:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250661265984&Category=168092#ht_3328wt_911

However, apparently I should have ordered this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250661254331&Category=168092#ht_3568wt_911

Now, what exactly could be different between these two cables internally whereas the cheap one apparently won't work with my phone but the expensive set will? Are they not both just RCA cables tied into a USB and the Apple 30 pin dock connector?

Secondly, I've found some threads about Cydia apps that make the "cheap" cables work. Resupported4 and TVOut2 or DisplayOut are the ones I've seen mentioned.

Does this mean with one of these apps I can use the "cheap" set when it arrives? OR do I need one of these apps AND the "expensive" set of cables?

Please somebody enlighten me :cool:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
The cable that apple sells for $50 has a chip in it that authenticates it. I have yet to see any third party cable work with any newer iPod/iPhone - this includes my old nano. Let me know if that $30 one works for you.

Regarding jailbreak apps, I think you can only use VGA to connect to a monitor. I don't even know if they support audio.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
The cable that apple sells for $50 has a chip in it that authenticates it. I have yet to see any third party cable work with any newer iPod/iPhone - this includes my old nano. Let me know if that $30 one works for you.

Regarding jailbreak apps, I think you can only use VGA to connect to a monitor. I don't even know if they support audio.

Gotcha. Well, I guess the chip explains the price difference.

I've done some searching on here and on YouTube and it looks like people have done exactly what I'm looking to do with a combination of stuff from my first post. I just want to know which combination will work for my application :p

Judging by the description for Resupported4 it looks like Resupported4 is made specifically for the purpose of using generic/offbrand cables. And, in the description for Resupported4 it states that in addition to Resupported4, you need DisplayOut to actually display on the TV.

I *think* generic cables along with Resupported4 and DisplayOut should work for what I want to do. I'm mainly confused as to whether or not I need the more expensive ($30) generic cables (i.e., do the Cydia apps allow me to use the $7 cables and circumvent the needed "chip"? OR do I need to use the Cydia apps AND use the $30 cables with the assumed generic "chip"?)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Looks like unsupported4 acknowledges that audio is not supported unless it already works on your existing cables. Audio does not work on any of the cheap ones I've seen. Hopefully, you'll find a pair that works.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Ill be watching this.
Let us all know what cables you end up buying and what you install
I would really appreciate it!

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well, I bought the $7 cables

The auction for the $7 cables says it is NOT compatible with the iPhone 4 or any firmware version above 3.0 (I stupidly didn't recognize/realize this before buying), whereas the $30 cables say they ARE compatible with the iPhone 4. I was originally curious what could be different internally on them and I guess even these generic $30 cables have this "chip" and are basically clones of the $50 Apple ones.

I'm paranoid I'll need the $30 cables though but I'd hate to spend $30 "just to see" so I was hoping somebody here had already done this! :D

I found this video on YouTube but it still doesn't tell me whether or not his generic cables are the "cheap" or the "expensive" ones, and it's also not clear whether or not he's got audio in addition to video. I sent that kid a message about it so hopefully he'll be able to tell me something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUB4EYjfV4

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Bump:

Got my $7 "cheap" cables in the mail today. Remember, the seller of these cables says they will NOT work for the iPhone 4 or on any other iPhone running firmware 3.0 or higher.

I downloaded Resupported4 and DisplayOut earlier today hoping my cables would come, and they did, so I hooked it all up.

And... drumroll.. it works. Audio AND video works. YouTube, Safari, pics, videos, everything. No lag or any issues at all and it orients videos and pictures properly.

Thanks for everybody's input!

nsbe1

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
told ya =)

yeah sure droid users have built in mini hdmi, but who's gonna buy that expensive ass cable when you can get an, although lower res, but functional cable for $3-7?
if you haven't seen, they also have the retractable/portable composite cables for iphone/ipod.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
FYI, as of this morning, you don't need DisplayOut to put Netflix on a TV screen. The latest app update (version 1.1.1) added video out support for iPhone 4 and iPod 4th gen. Obviously you'd still need Resupported4 to use non-chipped cables.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
FYI, as of this morning, you don't need DisplayOut to put Netflix on a TV screen. The latest app update (version 1.1.1) added video out support for iPhone 4 and iPod 4th gen. Obviously you'd still need Resupported4 to use non-chipped cables.

Yeah, I saw that and downloaded the update of Netflix

But I can't get Netflix to display out "natively". Any idea how I can get this to work?

I just want to see what difference there is (if any)

Actually, I just tried again, and last night I couldn't get anything. Today, I get sound but no audio when trying it "natively"

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
IPad & iPhone video/ audio out-->Netflix?

I want to get IPad & iPhone video/ audio out--> to play Netflix and other video. Are you saying your cheaper cables & app now let you play video/audio for movies on 4.1?

Can you also mirror what is on the iPhone or iPad screen?

Thanks!!!

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
newb question alert:

When using DisplayOut to mirror iPhone 4.1. Does it have to be a minidisplay port to VGA? or will DVI suffice?

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
Has anyone noticed that Netflix latest version 1.1.3. the one that came out Dec.21 doesn't work with the cheap cables.

I have Resupported4 and DisplayOut and everything used to work great.
Now video on tv only shows a red Netflix screen, the video continues to play on phone while connected, only audio comes through tv.

I had to install an older version (1.1.0) to get it to work.

37driver

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Has anyone noticed that Netflix latest version 1.1.3. the one that came out Dec.21 doesn't work with the cheap cables.

I have Resupported4 and DisplayOut and everything used to work great.
Now video on tv only shows a red Netflix screen, the video continues to play on phone while connected, only audio comes through tv.

I had to install an older version (1.1.0) to get it to work.

I have the same issue except I don't have an older version available to install. Tried Googling it but no luck. Any chance you can help me put. Point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Jojo17

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Hi there... I just bought displayout from cydia and currently on a 10day trial for resupported4... My concern is that my iphone is still not mirrored on my tv... When i tried to play a video... Audio is good but no video at all... Though the alert "device is not supported by iphone" was gone... Please ... Somebody help me.... Im using iphone 3g with 4.2.1..... Thanks.... Btw... Im also using generic composite cable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.