Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I've noticed several times that even though my phone is supposedly on 'standby' mode, the battery timer under 'usage' still continues to go up despite the fact that the phone isn't doing anything and the screen is off. It's not even playing music.

Battery life seems to drain faster too. I usually either have to reboot it or delete all my apps which are frozen in 'multitasking' mode.

I'm using an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
anytime your phone is standing by not being used counts as stand-by

anytime you are using your phone for any of its functions counts as usage.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
anytime your phone is standing by not being used counts as stand-by

anytime you are using your phone for any of its functions counts as usage.

Any clue why my usage counter goes up then even when my phone is standing by and not being used?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Not really, listening to the iPod app won't increase usage or my usage would be at years now. Listening to anything requiring data would increase this.

How would your usage be at the years when usage reverts back to 0 every time you charge it? Listening to the iPod absolutely increases usage, I just tested it.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Not really, listening to the iPod app won't increase usage or my usage would be at years now. Listening to anything requiring data would increase this.

The counter resets every time you fully charge the phone, using the phone is using it, when the screen is locked and it's not being used that's standby- using data or not is irrelevant.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
The counter resets every time you fully charge the phone, using the phone is using it, when the screen is locked and it's not being used that's standby- using data or not is irrelevant.

I've seen my usage counter continue to rise even when in the lock screen with my music turned off.

I do have my notifications turned on for several applications such as Facebook, Mail and MSN Messenger. However the odd thing is that most of the time this usually won't count towards usage.

I'm really puzzled about this because I've noticed this happening several times and I had to close all my apps or restart my phone to set it back to normal.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I noticed this too, even when my phone is not being used/in sleep mode usage still goes up, very very little.

I left house this morning with full charge. When I got to work about 25 mins later there was usage, VERY small le 2 mins.

Marc

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
When in doubt, Google. ;)

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.