Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:54 AM   #1
omro
macrumors member

TV Website's streaming video

Could the new appletv potentially get a web browser allowing it to stream the online video content of tv station websites that don't currently have apps for this?
omro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
spinnerlys

If they use Flash, probably not. But the Apple TV will be jailbroken any week now.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
omro
macrumors member

Well I love my Apple TV - if it had Safari and was able to surf the sites of CTV or Global and play the tv that I miss, I would be in heaven.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4
newagemac
macrumors 68000

That's what Airplay is for. You browse to the TV station's website on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad in Safari and then Airplay the video to your TV. As long as they aren't requiring Flash. Airplay for video will be available next month.

I'd imagine you would create a folder for each channel on the home screen and bookmarked "web apps" for each show within the folders. Should work out well as I can't imagine watching more than 12 shows per channel regularly.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5
omro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
That's what Airplay is for. You browse to the TV station's website on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad in Safari and then Airplay the video to your TV. As long as they aren't requiring Flash. Airplay for video will be available next month.

I'd imagine you would create a folder for each channel on the home screen and bookmarked "web apps" for each show within the folders. Should work out well as I can't imagine watching more than 12 shows per channel regularly.
Kinda tedious though if you don't want to be running your iDevice

Most sites in Canada are still flash :-(
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:03 PM   #6
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Tedious would be trying to do this using a remote on a screen 10 feet away. Which is why any variation of webtv has never caught on mainstream. Using your iDevice to locate content then save to your homescreen for easy access next time seems to be far more convenient in my opinion.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:15 AM   #7
omro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Tedious would be trying to do this using a remote on a screen 10 feet away. Which is why any variation of webtv has never caught on mainstream. Using your iDevice to locate content then save to your homescreen for easy access next time seems to be far more convenient in my opinion.
Google TV will offer this ability from outset with a browser and touchpad equipped keyboard and flash support.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater