Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1
bosox2009
macrumors member

Do new and old Apple TVs play nice together?

You have the old and the new Apple TV on two separate televisions.

1. Does your old Apple TV behave as before? ie. able to purchase content, sync, stream, AirTunes speakers, etc...

2. Network-wise everything is okay? ie. no bog downs or other wifi issues out of the box?

3. How does the iPhone/iPad remote app display both devices? Different names? Or you have to rename one of the apple tvs within iTunes? (the new remote app totally rocks my old ATV and iTunes library BTW)

Just curious... Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:55 AM   #2
hNicolas
macrumors regular

I would like to know too. I ordered a new ATV and it is only shipping Oct. 19. If they don't behave together I might cancel my order. I will not give up my ATV with 160 GB storage right now. New one will go in bedroom until it's ready for primetime. Then I might move it to the home theatre.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

I have the old and new haven't set up the old on a new tv yet. But the remote app pretty much works the same on both only difference is the old doesn't support home sharing so you'll have to add the library to the remote app manually with the code.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
iceman17
macrumors newbie

I hooked mine up last night and now have 1 new and 2 old

1) Yes, it behaves exactly the same as before.

2) Setup was a breeze, the only complaint is using the remote to type in user names and passwords. That part took far too long. After I entered all that in, the Wireless Network was up immediately. I had to restart my computer to get the Apple TV to find my computer and recognize homeshare.

3) They have different names. You can connect to your itunes, or any one of your Apple TVs

Your new Apple TV will not show up in iTunes since it uses homeshare. For some reason I thought it would, but really, it is just another device on your network now, not a hard drive that holds content.

On another note, the Netflix interface is the best I have seen. I just wish the old Apple TVs could also use it.
iceman17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5
tommylotto
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
only difference is the old doesn't support home sharing so you'll have to add the library to the remote app manually with the code.
How and where do you do this? I cannot figure it out. I have 2 AppleTV's one was paired on my iPad under the old Remote app. The other was not. The setting was preserved when I upgraded to the new Remote app, but I have not been able to find where or how on the new app I can link the other old AppleTV.
tommylotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
How and where do you do this? I cannot figure it out. I have 2 AppleTV's one was paired on my iPad under the old Remote app. The other was not. The setting was preserved when I upgraded to the new Remote app, but I have not been able to find where or how on the new app I can link the other old AppleTV.
in settings you select Add Library
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
rhp2424
macrumors member

Streaming available?

So to clarify, can you stream content from the old Apple TV to the new Apple TV?
In other words, can the old Apple TV be used as a content server in lieu of always leaving your computer on for the new one?
rhp2424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:56 PM   #8
DJinTX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhp2424 View Post
So to clarify, can you stream content from the old Apple TV to the new Apple TV?
In other words, can the old Apple TV be used as a content server in lieu of always leaving your computer on for the new one?
No, it won't work this way. I suppose a hack could come along to achieve this (if it is technically possible given the hardware), but no it won't do this. It is all designed so that media streams to the ATV, not from it to another device.
DJinTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
tommylotto
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
in settings you select Add Library
Have you actually done this? It now says "Add an iTunes Library"

check this out from Apple:

Quote:
What's New In Version 2.0
Designed for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
Optimized for Retina displays and large screen real estate on iPad
Support for Shared Libraries on iTunes and new Apple TV
Bug fixes and compatibility with iTunes 10 and the new Apple TV
Note how it says support for "new AppleTV" not old AppleTV...
tommylotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater