Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

103236-final_cut_studio_apps.jpg

Hardmac reports that Apple's plans for a thorough overhaul of its Final Cut Studio have "suffered significant setbacks" that will see a release pushed back to 2011 from a rumored goal of a 2010 launch and result in significantly scaled-back changes to the professional-level video production software package.
A few months ago we told you that Apple were hoping to release a new version of their Final Cut Studio suite in 2010. It now seems likely that this target has been missed according to one of our sources. The development of this software suite has suffered significant setbacks and it will be necessary to wait until 2011 to see its release; furthermore, the scope of the project has been reduced.
According to the report, Apple has temporarily abandoned plans to bring a single interface to the Final Cut package as internal development teams have been unable to reach agreement on how the interface should be implemented. The interface overhaul has now been said to be pushed back to the following release of Final Cut, tentatively scheduled for a 2013 release.

Additionally, the report claims that the Final Cut team's progress has been slowed as Apple has reassigned engineers to work on projects for the company's iOS devices.

Concern over the future of Apple's Final Cut offerings arose in February, when it was revealed that Apple had laid off 40 members of the project team. Several months later, a report claimed that Apple was looking to transition Final Cut Pro Pro from a strictly professional product to more of a "prosumer" offering, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs dismissed those concerns, stating that the next release of Final Cut Pro "will be awesome" and that the earlier job layoffs had been in support and not engineering. The following day, Apple issued an official statement similarly noting that the next version of Final Cut Pro will be "awesome".

Article Link: Final Cut Studio Update Scaled Back and Delayed?

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Absolute nonsense. Just building on all the previous nonsense for reinforcement. I need solid proof on this one, like an internal memo. 2010 was never a realistic goal, and it was imposed externally, not by Apple. The UI stuff MAY be true, but the real issue is 64 bit compatibility. We need to be able to USE all that RAM and all those cores that we pay for in a Macpro. That's why I am not upgrading until FCS has been updated. As for jumping ship, not likely when you have thousands in hardware and software invested in the FCS system, like most pro's do.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
This hurts; bad. With Premiere Pro seeming to be happily multi-core aware, having the current best offering by Apple on FCP unable to really utilize more than 2 cores on their 6, 8 and 12 core machines is just pathetic; absolutely pathetic.

And now pushing this back to sometime next year is really go to hurt sales as far as I can tell.... how many loyal FCP users would jump ship to Adobe on this one?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
This is what happens when Apple became a consumer electronics company.

Not sure if anyone is really surprised by delays in their computing products.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Hopefully Apple can get Final Cut off of the old Quicktime framework and on to the new one. That needed to happen with the last version.

Also, here's hoping they'll finally make that godawful joke known as Compressor into an actual pro product.

iondot

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
The setback is being sidetracked working on Apple TV software and iphone updates. Maybe this next version will make use of even fewer cores!

ILMSTMF

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
how many loyal FCP users would jump ship to Adobe on this one?

Count me out. Multicore-aware or not, I'm not going to take the time to learn a different NLE. I'm comfortable with my workflow in FCP.

That said, it is a true atrocity that generation after generation of Mac Pro have been introduced yet, their full potential (inside of FCS) can't be reached because of software limitations. How can one justify dropping thousands of dollars on a turnkey Mac Pro when the software can't take full advantage of the hardware's power? It's like owning a Ferrari and being limited to 40MPH top speed.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Looks like Final Cut is getting the final cut LOL
I'm glad Apple is devoting it's resources to the masses. Makes perfect business sense.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Time to switch to Premiere Pro, since it's up to date feature-wise and has a nice interface.

FCP is totally old now and lacks basic features that Premiere has had for long, such as playing everything without rendering, smooth scrubbing and the time stretch tool. The only reason I've been using FCP was because it was way faster than Premiere Pro CS4, but now CS5 is as fast.

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Im not moving away from FCP unless things seriously go wrong. If the apps stay seperate and the UI stays much the same for a little longer no hassle... BUT - for gods sake keep fixing those bugs, give us a 64bit app and make use of OpenCL.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
:/

What ever happened to creating content, not just consuming it? Mac = Creation. iOS = consuming. I wish they'd hire more people and stop leeching developers away from stuff I really care about, iOS is fun...but that's it.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
Shake has been discontinued for a while. This article is totally fake - should be page 2 at best imho.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Im sticking with FCP. The delay doesn't really bother me all that much. Im happy with my current machine and FCP7 and these things take time. "Awesome" could mean iMovie on steroids or something terrible like that. I hope they keep the scope and Pro in FCP.

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
All I have to say is thank God there are other editors on the Mac platform. There's no way in Hell I would ever do this type of work on a Windows machine. I love Final Cut and I've been using it for a long time. Possibly seeing it shoved to the side/abandoned is not something we would like to see obviously and I hope it does not come to that.

I'm seriously intrigued by the Lumiera project. It is shaping up to be a major player in the future and, best of all, someone's working on a Mac port.

Times are changing.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Here here. I can't believe i feel like a second class citizen at Apple because I own a MacBookPro and not an iPad. Steve Jobs has betrayed the Mac.

Jobs pretty much said the age of computers is over. Not surprised.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
This is poor form if true. All that money and they can't seem to find enough resources to give the Mac the attention it needs.

I know Steve likes to run the company as a startup, but the Mac and the Pro Tools are mature products used by many people for day to day work. The way Apple runs its Mac and Pro Tools divisions** seems (at least from the outside) to be a really poor fit for the products they are actually producing.

They need large teams of solid (not spectacular!) hard working engineers who perform incremental updates and keep the wheels turning. In laypersons (not software) terms: they need to focus on keeping the trains running on time, not building the shiniest and fastest train.

That's the best way I see that these products will progress. On the Mac and to a lesser extent with the Pro Tools, they don't need wow! features, they generally work well, but need small incremental updates to round out the features, add polish and address remaining niggles (and everyone has one or two niggles for software they use regularly).

I think it is time to address this and Apple's profits are concealing a number of issues. It is time to treat these products with the respect and resources they need. And that means making a commitment to continual improvement and iterative development, not big bang releases and then nothing for years.

** i.e. Pulling engineers in for a massive push before a release before neglecting the product until the next big release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.